Every Teardrop is a Waterfall Meaning

Sharpe

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
So I was thinking about it, and I now feel that this song is more than a sappy "i luv mah muzics zo im gonna dance" song. Some of the lyrics seem trite, but there seems to be a deeper meaning (to me).

I feel that this song has something to do with the joy of protesting something and finally being recognized, even in a negative way. Many people would gladly spend a night in jail if it means getting their beliefs across. This song brings to mind protests against racism/war/for educational reform in the 60's. People would get beaten up, humiliated, and degraded by authorities, but they wouldn't have it any other way. I think this song says that in the joy of that moment, everything seems larger than life. Every (police) siren is a symphony, and every teardrop (of physical pain, perhaps caused by a beating from security?) is a beautiful waterfall.

"You can hurt me bad, but still I'll raise the flag."

I don't know. My head is a messy place, make of this what you will.

I enjoyed reading your interpretation! thanks

Sharpe

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Pulse start.... catherdrals in my heart
as we saw this light, I swear you emerged blinking into to tell me its alright.

In 1996 an album came out called Pulse by Pink Floyd
and it had a Blinking light on the CD ...their music was very helpful to me
and the light was like a beacon telling me that everything was alright..

Revolverwin

Champion of the World
Coldplayer
My favourite part is
"So you can hurt, hurt me bad
But still I'll raise the flag".
I think it sums up the whole message, because without it you might think "why do they sing every teardrop is a waterfall to a happy and upbeat melody?"
To me the song is about having been hurt badly or gone through a rough thing where tears seemed endless, but now being able to see the beautiful things in life and celebrating and as ARushofLove said, seeing the tears as beautiful. That is even though what caused them might have been painful.
The song can really make me dance and jump around feeling "on a roll" while I with the lyrics remember the tears I've cried in the past, but think positively upon the present, where I enjoy my music, being alive and other values in the moment.
yeah, a man gains wisdom through suffering. I mean, looking at negative things in a positive mirror^^