✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

please when refering to GS don't use the phrase "over produced" because that was the most low key production coldplay ever applied to an album, maybe only parachutes has an even more low key production.

theres difference between production (sound engineering) and commercial production (sales, propaganda)

+1 couldn't agree more

Smoke is rising from the houses...

That's why this thread is around. To speculate! Yes, it may be possible. Infact I wouldn't be surprised now since anything can happen. I mean that tweet about Chris leaving that clue that Ghost Stories would be the album title for LP6 on a plane for Moses? We must be more observant than ever!

I was just listening to A Whisper Instrumental for the millionth time and realized how pure yet complex their music was back then. Every once in a while I go back and it all comes to me why I fell in love with this band. Of course the moment someone mentions a return to their older sound everyone goes berserk here. I wouldn't want AROBTTH 2.0 either but there is SOMETHING that's been missing in their music. I'm not capable to put it into words what it exactly is that they're missing. But I'm sure of it.

Maybe it had an "edge" to it as the critics say and it no longer does. Don't get me wrong I'm in love with GS and I think its beautiful. But it just doesn't do it for me the way AROBTTH did. This isn't unusual however as it happens with a lot of other bands. But more so with Coldplay.

I don't exactly know what I want with LP7. Maybe for them to just start like they're 19 again. No production. No synths; and lots and lots of guitar and heavy drums!

Guest kmm1482
I was just listening to A Whisper Instrumental for the millionth time and realized how pure yet complex their music was back then. Every once in a while I go back and it all comes to me why I fell in love with this band. Of course the moment someone mentions a return to their older sound everyone goes berserk here. I wouldn't want AROBTTH 2.0 either but there is SOMETHING that's been missing in their music. I'm not capable to put it into words what it exactly is that they're missing. But I'm sure of it.

Maybe it had an "edge" to it as the critics say and it no longer does. Don't get me wrong I'm in love with GS and I think its beautiful. But it just doesn't do it for me the way AROBTTH did. This isn't unusual however as it happens with a lot of other bands. But more so with Coldplay.

I don't exactly know what I want with LP7. Maybe for them to just start like they're 19 again. No production. No synths; and lots and lots of guitar and heavy drums!

Yes!! Exactly! In my opinion, they seem to be more aware of themselves (what sells, who to market to, etc.). But back then, they were just 4 guys with instruments and some old records for inspiration. Just listen to Parachutes/AROBTTH/X&Y b-sides. Just as good as LP stuff. They weren't so encumbered by outside forces like "What are the current trends? What do the kids like?" They were playing music that was raw and garage band-like. Music that came from a sense of experience and working class (i.e. Such a Rush)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, its an edge or something thats missing. The music is more pop, crispy clean produced and less alternative. And most of the melodys just dont grab me. And if you're always looking for good new music, and you are like me being blown away by for example the new War on drugs album, then GS just really becomes uninteresting and underwelming. You cant really compare music but you can compare what it does to you. I keep on listening to other music + CPs older music. So i bought GS and a few weeks later I just listen to the bonus tracks and sometimes 2/3 songs on the actual album. Coldplay fans really are 'the best' arent they? ; p

Oh right, this thread is about LP7 :) maybe we should send them some inspiration like the album I just mentioned!

^ Very true. Its funny how the mediocrity of your favorite band causes you to look and search for better music. I've always had Pink Floyd and U2 though long before Coldplay. The War on Drugs are very good by the way.

Yes!! Exactly! In my opinion, they seem to be more aware of themselves (what sells, who to market to, etc.).

They're more of a brand now more than ever just like 1D, Gaga and Jay-Z etc. I think they're extremely constrained as to what they can put out. That's the problem with trying to appeal to a wider audience.

Guest kmm1482
True, its an edge or something thats missing. The music is more pop, crispy clean produced and less alternative. And most of the melodys just dont grab me. And if you're always looking for good new music, and you are like me being blown away by for example the new War on drugs album, then GS just really becomes uninteresting and underwelming. You cant really compare music but you can compare what it does to you. I keep on listening to other music + CPs older music. So i bought GS and a few weeks later I just listen to the bonus tracks and sometimes 2/3 songs on the actual album. Coldplay fans really are 'the best' arent they? ; p

Oh right, this thread is about LP7 :) maybe we should send them some inspiration like the album I just mentioned!

I agree 100%. But also, through Coldplay, I've discovered music that I've kind of transitioned into. Ex: Blur-Damon Albarn, Jon Hopkins, Radiohead-Thom Yorke (Atoms for Peace, Johnny Cash, elbow.

^ hihi

I agree 100%. But also, through Coldplay, I've discovered music that I've kind of transitioned into. Ex: Blur-Damon Albarn, Jon Hopkins, Radiohead-Thom Yorke (Atoms for Peace, Johnny Cash, elbow.

Thanks & yes, they opened many doors to other great music. Thanks Coldplay!

^ Very true. Its funny how the mediocrity of your favorite band causes you to look and search for better music. I've always had Pink Floyd and U2 though long before Coldplay. The War on Drugs are very good by the way.

They're more of a brand now more than ever just like 1D, Gaga and Jay-Z etc. I think they're extremely constrained as to what they can put out. That's the problem with trying to appeal to a wider audience.

Hmm, that just sounds awful to me :( how can a band ever create what they really want, what is really from the heart. Sometimes I wish they didn't get so big. The guys are so talented!

Is this a musical or a marketing choice that they seem to have made though? Even though Coldplay is big and attempts to be mass-appealing, they've said repeatedly in genuine interviews that they're trying to do what they want to do. It's not about trying to please an audience or all the audiences. I think GS is a record that they wanted to make. It might coincide with some contemporary mainstream styles, ASFOS in particular...but it also has a lot of well made tracks that clearly aren't designed to please. The response to Midnight was extremely mixed, Oceans and Fly On are very acoustic-minded....this is to say, if they really wanted to be a brand or to cater...I feel like they'd be making more songs like the Scientist, Clocks, Paradise, and Yellow. Not this slightly experimental slightly electronic stuff.

Though I'll agree that the older stuff had more "edge." I think an interesting way to measure a band is how different the recording and live version are. While on one hand, it's good to try to capture what you recorded, there's another sense of, "wow this shit is really springing to life." I really get that sense with songs like Everything's Not Lost, Clocks, Amsterdam, DAAHF, Fix You, Hurts Like Heaven...because the way they're played live are subtly different in ways that really "add" to the experience. I think that's less so the case with GS - the only songs where they undergo this "holy crap that was 1000x better live and I didn't think it could be" transformation would be maybe ASFOS because it has more real drums/guitar mixed to the forefront and Oceans due to Jonny's guitar part. But songs like AIMH, Magic, True Love are almost a carbon copy between live and album, partly because of backing track.

I too felt like Ghost Stories didn't have an edge. Perhaps it is the change of music taste. I am 20 and became obsessed with all of Coldplay's Discography when I was 14, right when Viva dropped, and I know that there are many others on Coldplaying in roughly the same boat. Mylo Xyloto started showing the signs of some of the pop directions they were heading, but I still love it because it has a distinct alternative edge (when all is said and done) and original flavour.

Ghost Stories doesn't have an alternative edge. Sure Midnight is beautifully ambient electronics and AIMH is subtle, Another's Arms subdued, but it is their most crisp and clean pop record to date, and that often makes it underwhelming. Coldplay helped turn me on to some really good music over the years and overall the feelings I used to get from Coldplay records (joy, excitement, melancholy, meditative, dancy) have been sourced elsewhere. Ghost Stories is good, but now when I think of it, I think "meh."

I am pretty much in agreement with everyone at this point, I really don't know what I want from LP7, I always come back to Coldplay, but I am getting to an age where I listen to a lot of other music that has more feeling and depth for me. Maybe for those of us disappointed with Ghost Stories, it is simply a change in musical taste. Perhaps our musical taste has become more alternative whilst Coldplay's becomes more pop oriented? I mean, there is a big world of music out there we can all access like never before...

Why do people think that GS is poppy? Personally, GS is Coldplay's least accessible album. While there are poppy songs like Magic and ASFOS, most of the songs are laid back and minimalistic without CP's signature huge choruses. This doesn't fit the catchy, sometimes annoying, melodies of pop. MX is pop. Not this.

Is this a musical or a marketing choice that they seem to have made though? Even though Coldplay is big and attempts to be mass-appealing, they've said repeatedly in genuine interviews that they're trying to do what they want to do. It's not about trying to please an audience or all the audiences. I think GS is a record that they wanted to make. It might coincide with some contemporary mainstream styles, ASFOS in particular...but it also has a lot of well made tracks that clearly aren't designed to please. The response to Midnight was extremely mixed, Oceans and Fly On are very acoustic-minded....this is to say, if they really wanted to be a brand or to cater...I feel like they'd be making more songs like the Scientist, Clocks, Paradise, and Yellow. Not this slightly experimental slightly electronic stuff.

Though I'll agree that the older stuff had more "edge." I think an interesting way to measure a band is how different the recording and live version are. While on one hand, it's good to try to capture what you recorded, there's another sense of, "wow this shit is really springing to life." I really get that sense with songs like Everything's Not Lost, Clocks, Amsterdam, DAAHF, Fix You, Hurts Like Heaven...because the way they're played live are subtly different in ways that really "add" to the experience. I think that's less so the case with GS - the only songs where they undergo this "holy crap that was 1000x better live and I didn't think it could be" transformation would be maybe ASFOS because it has more real drums/guitar mixed to the forefront and Oceans due to Jonny's guitar part. But songs like AIMH, Magic, True Love are almost a carbon copy between live and album, partly because of backing track.

Agree with all you said. As for the question, I think its both a musical and a marketing choice. This is very evident in the way they've been choosing their singles recently in that usually the most accessible and at times mediocre songs on the album become singles. Things would have been very different if for example Major Minus or DLIBYH were singles instead of Paradise or ETIAW. I also think Chris is now influenced by very different musicians compared to the Parachutes days. Something that actually worried me was when he said on Zane Lowe he seriously thinks One Direction are great. The Chris Martin of 2002 would have hated them :D

Why do people think that GS is poppy? Personally, GS is Coldplay's least accessible album. While there are poppy songs like Magic and ASFOS, most of the songs are laid back and minimalistic without CP's signature huge choruses. This doesn't fit the catchy, sometimes annoying, melodies of pop. MX is pop. Not this.

While MX is definitely more mainstream and appealing to the masses, I think GS fits into the pop category perfectly. ASFOS, Ink, Magic, Another's Arms, O etc all confirm this. Plus there is barely any guitar on the album and no drums.

While MX is definitely more mainstream and appealing to the masses, I think GS fits into the pop category perfectly. ASFOS, Ink, Magic, Another's Arms, O etc all confirm this. Plus there is barely any guitar on the album and no drums.

lol that doesnt mean anything, fever by the black keys and sing by ed sheeran have guitar, drums etc and are as mainstream as magic and asfos

lol that doesnt mean anything, fever by the black keys and sing by ed sheeran have guitar, drums etc and are as mainstream as magic and asfos

I think you got the words mainstream and pop mixed up. As I said in my post both GS and MX are mainstream records but GS fits more into the POP category because of reasons mentioned. The Black Keys do not make POP albums. Mainstream yes but its ALTERNATIVE mainstream.

I think you got the words mainstream and pop mixed up. As I said in my post both GS and MX are mainstream records but GS fits more into the POP category because of reasons mentioned. The Black Keys do not make POP albums. Mainstream yes but its ALTERNATIVE mainstream.

sorry i was reading too fast and i read mainstream instead