✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Worst Coldplay Songs Ever!

Sheikwonder

X Marks the Spot is the worst song Coldplay has ever done...

This is the only Coldplay song I just can't listen to.

And...shocker but I usually skip Fix You when it comes on. Even live I didn't love it. I feel blasphemous but it's the truth.

However it was a perfect song when used in So You Think You Can Dance to honor a mothers journey with cancer. So I do appreciate it. Just can't listen to it much.

• 2 weeks later...
The entirety of AHFOD.

I was really optimistic when I first heard AOAL, and then started listening to the album when it came out and heard AHFOD and Birds. The rest of the album did not live up to the first 2 songs and the direction I thought it would go. I now have no interest listening to any song after AHFOD and Birds anymore.

• Like 2

I mean Up&Up is kinda cool even with that awful production and AOAL is a guilty pleasure of mine but I don't think I've heard AHFOD from beginning to end since 2016
I think that up&up is one of Coldplay's best songs of this decade.

• 6 months later...

My picks: Five Least Liked Coldplay Songs:

In order of Record Released:

1. "Parachutes" (Parachutes, Record)

Why is this song so darn short? It truly doesn't add anything sufficient to this album. The guitar-neck shifting sound is somewhat jarring to my ears like a chalkboard screech. I don't loathe it however it's deemed as skippable for me.

{Skipping A Rush of Blood to the Head, Record. None of these songs ever bothered me that much.}

2. "Twisted Logic" (X&Y, Record)

This song reminds me heavily of The Beatles song, 'I want You (She's So Heavy)'. Maybe it's the trance-sounding guitar melody. It isn't horrible however I can't shake off the similarities. This song might be tainted for me because of the influence of others; others interpretation. I recall after I came home with the new X&Y album in hand I tore off the plastic and booted up the surround sound system in the living area. My Father calmly sat in his Lazy Boy chair. We both enjoyed the record, had a nice chat discussing each song etc. When "Twisted Logic" came on however my Father heard the lyrics, laughing.. "This song is dumb-- he keep singing about going backwards and forwards-- are they high?" I couldn't help but giggle too. It was embarrassing, the X&Y record genuinely has some of the greatest Coldplay songs for me however this song tends to be mixed for me. Some days I'm totally into it. like the opening with the computers finding life on Earth however other times I think back to how silly this entire song is. Sure musically it appears they took some risks however I'm unsure if I can ever have this track under my favorites.

3. "Yes" (Viva La Vida, Record)

I don't find the sour tune of the opening of the violins to be very enjoyable. I dunno, think this particular track somewhat brings down this amazing album. Maybe it's the mostly flat-ness tone of Chris' singing, I am very sure it's intentional however this musical composition isn't for me. The only saving grace of this song is the Arabian-like sound of the strings.. I've tried for years to like this song but I just can't. I'm very glad when I heard them live back in 2008 they did not have it in their song set list.

{Skipping Prospekt's March, Record and Mylo Xyloto, Record. None of these songs ever bothered me that much.}

4. "Magic" (Ghost Stories, Record)

Again much alike to the 'Yes' song, I just not incredibly into the 'odd' sour noting. Right away when you begin this song it just has this bleakness to it. Again I am sure it is intentional however I just can't get around to lovin' this track. Maybe it's the small fact that I don't tend to listen to the R&B genre but this track doesn't evoke Coldplay much for me. Yes I can find bits that I enjoy such as, the echoing piano bits from this song or the great guitar pick up at 2:55 however I have always found it incredibly fascinating why the band was pushing this song as an mega hit. I find, "True Love" way more of an successful Coldplay hit however this is only my opinion. I'm sure plenty of folks who adore this song I feel bad that we don't share that connection. The "Ohhs" at the end are catchy though I'll give it that.

5. "X Marks The Spot" [Hidden Track at 3:23 during the track,"Army of One"] (A Head Full Of Dreams, Record)

Oh Man.. this song. Let me start off by typing that I just hate --no-- I loathe rap music. When I first hit this song I was half-tempted to just skip it but... because it's Coldplay and I want to support all their work or at least give them the gratitude to listen once before I have an opinion. I played the entire song. The lyrics aren't the best here, and I give him credit for trying however I do not believe Chris is a master at rapping. Musically, not much is offered up in this.. I just feels empty, soul-less. Just not my type of music.

• Like 1

My picks: Five Least Liked Coldplay Songs:

In order of Record Released:

1. "Parachutes" (Parachutes, Record)

Why is this song so darn short? It truly doesn't add anything sufficient to this album. The guitar-neck shifting sound is somewhat jarring to my ears like a chalkboard screech. I don't loathe it however it's deemed as skippable for me.

{Skipping A Rush of Blood to the Head, Record. None of these songs ever bothered me that much.}

2. "Twisted Logic" (X&Y, Record)

This song reminds me heavily of The Beatles song, 'I want You (She's So Heavy)'. Maybe it's the trance-sounding guitar melody. It isn't horrible however I can't shake off the similarities. This song might be tainted for me because of the influence of others; others interpretation. I recall after I came home with the new X&Y album in hand I tore off the plastic and booted up the surround sound system in the living area. My Father calmly sat in his Lazy Boy chair. We both enjoyed the record, had a nice chat discussing each song etc. When "Twisted Logic" came on however my Father heard the lyrics, laughing.. "This song is dumb-- he keep singing about going backwards and forwards-- are they high?" I couldn't help but giggle too. It was embarrassing, the X&Y record genuinely has some of the greatest Coldplay songs for me however this song tends to be mixed for me. Some days I'm totally into it. like the opening with the computers finding life on Earth however other times I think back to how silly this entire song is. Sure musically it appears they took some risks however I'm unsure if I can ever have this track under my favorites.

3. "Yes" (Viva La Vida, Record)

I don't find the sour tune of the opening of the violins to be very enjoyable. I dunno, think this particular track somewhat brings down this amazing album. Maybe it's the mostly flat-ness tone of Chris' singing, I am very sure it's intentional however this musical composition isn't for me. The only saving grace of this song is the Arabian-like sound of the strings.. I've tried for years to like this song but I just can't. I'm very glad when I heard them live back in 2008 they did not have it in their song set list.

{Skipping Prospekt's March, Record and Mylo Xyloto, Record. None of these songs ever bothered me that much.}

4. "Magic" (Ghost Stories, Record)

Again much alike to the 'Yes' song, I just not incredibly into the 'odd' sour noting. Right away when you begin this song it just has this bleakness to it. Again I am sure it is intentional however I just can't get around to lovin' this track. Maybe it's the small fact that I don't tend to listen to the R&B genre but this track doesn't evoke Coldplay much for me. Yes I can find bits that I enjoy such as, the echoing piano bits from this song or the great guitar pick up at 2:55 however I have always found it incredibly fascinating why the band was pushing this song as an mega hit. I find, "True Love" way more of an successful Coldplay hit however this is only my opinion. I'm sure plenty of folks who adore this song I feel bad that we don't share that connection. The "Ohhs" at the end are catchy though I'll give it that.

5. "X Marks The Spot" [Hidden Track at 3:23 during the track,"Army of One"] (A Head Full Of Dreams, Record)

Oh Man.. this song. Let me start off by typing that I just hate --no-- I loathe rap music. When I first hit this song I was half-tempted to just skip it but... because it's Coldplay and I want to support all their work or at least give them the gratitude to listen once before I have an opinion. I played the entire song. The lyrics aren't the best here, and I give him credit for trying however I do not believe Chris is a master at rapping. Musically, not much is offered up in this.. I just feels empty, soul-less. Just not my type of music.

I like XMTS it's very catchy.. But Magic has that great bass intro though.

• Like 1

For me, the worst song (with lot of distance to the rest) is Something Just Like This. The lyrics are good, 100% coldplay, but the sound its horrible. I think an acoustic version with piano will be lovely. Or maybe a not electronic melody.

Also I don´t like the hits from GS: Always in my head, AFOS and Magic. The hits from AHFOD are not good also, but I think they are quite better that the GS´s hits.

Other song is Paradise. The song is not bad, and I think that works well as a standard song, but Coldplay are engaged to make Paradise a great hit like Viva la Vida or Fix You and I´m sorry but no, it's not such a good song. Every Teardrop or Charlie Brown are better. But they play Paradise always as a great hit... and in this tour with the remix... which is... ¿curious?

There are "bad" songs in their first albums, but for me, I prefer A Whisper or High Speed (for example as weirds songs) before A Sky Full of Stars :D.

Probably because I like the style of the black coldplay instead of the colorful jejeje

I know opinions are subjective but Paradise is a great hit, at least commercially speaking. It's their only their 2nd Number 1 song in the UK after Viva la Vida.

The one songs I was mocking everytime it was played on the radio, but then I never payed much attention to music ... got tickets for a concert my husband was really keen on, just to realize just before the concert, that we were gonna listen to the band, that sings this songs ... :p

Still not my favourite song, but I don't change radio stations anymore when it is being played ;)

• Like 2

The one songs I was mocking everytime it was played on the radio, but then I never payed much attention to music ... got tickets for a concert my husband was really keen on, just to realize just before the concert, that we were gonna listen to the band, that sings this songs ... :p

Still not my favourite song, but I don't change radio stations anymore when it is being played ;)

Same-Paradise was part of the reason it took me so long to really discover Coldplay...it was the only song I knew at the time since I just listened to whatever was on the radio and for some reason I hated it but I was still pretty young then. It's grown on me too but I see what you mean.

Oh boy this is a controversial thread! I'm now going to stoke the fire a little bit...

I'll go album by album.

Parachutes- There's nothing I dislike strongly enough to mention, but it isn't my favourite album.

AROBTTH- Absolutely perfect, and I'll hear no different.

X and Y- Speed of Sound has always bugged me. Far too similar to Clocks and just feels lazy (apart from Jonny's guitar- I have a soft spot for that)

The Hardest Part- I honestly can't give a reason for disliking it, it just doesn't sit well with me melodically. Maybe it's a bit jarring at times?

That said, I really don't understand why this is the album the guys can't stand considering some of the stuff that is now described by Chris as 'the best stuff they've ever written' more recently...

Viva- Like Parachutes, there's nothing I feel strongly negative about on this one. Maybe 'Yes' is a bit weaker than the rest of the album but it's still very listenable!

MX- So this is the era where I first got into Coldplay (which led me back to the older stuff which I now prefer!) so I'm not as negative about it as I see some people are! That said, Princess of China always gets a skip when I'm listening to the album. Just a bit too synth-y for my liking! (Saw somebody earlier in the thread call UFO 'pointless'- what an absolutely disgraceful opinion ;) A beautiful song!)

Ghost Stories- Initially thought I didn't like the album at all, and really didn't enjoy Midnight and Another's Arms. Listening back, however, the whole album has grown on me massively. True Love, however, is pretty dreadful.

AHFOD- I bloody love this album. There, I said it. I could listen through it again and again and have no problems (as long as I skip to the next track as soon as Army of One has finished- X Marks the Spot can remain secret. Awful.) My main problem with this album, though, is the lyrics and Chris' diction. Most of the time I have no idea what he's actually singing (see- Birds), and a lot of the time the lyrics seem a lot more childish compared to some of the amazing stuff that came before, mainly on VLV (lyrically, I mean).

Others- Miracles (Someone Special) is absolutely horrendous. I love it musically, and the chorus chords/melody are absolutely brilliant, but the lyrics are the worst that Chris has written by a long way. Awful grammar, random references to famous 'good guys' and just cheese to the max. I wish the words were better, because it could so easily be one of my favourites.

Aliens- I just can't agree with the track at all. I can see why some people would love it but I just can't make sense of it.

Gravity- This is the worst Coldplay song because of how it was treated. Should have been on an album. I bloody love it.

• Like 1

Oh boy this is a controversial thread! I'm now going to stoke the fire a little bit...

I'll go album by album.

Parachutes- There's nothing I dislike strongly enough to mention, but it isn't my favourite album.

AROBTTH- Absolutely perfect, and I'll hear no different.

X and Y- Speed of Sound has always bugged me. Far too similar to Clocks and just feels lazy (apart from Jonny's guitar- I have a soft spot for that)

The Hardest Part- I honestly can't give a reason for disliking it, it just doesn't sit well with me melodically. Maybe it's a bit jarring at times?

That said, I really don't understand why this is the album the guys can't stand considering some of the stuff that is now described by Chris as 'the best stuff they've ever written' more recently...

Viva- Like Parachutes, there's nothing I feel strongly negative about on this one. Maybe 'Yes' is a bit weaker than the rest of the album but it's still very listenable!

MX- So this is the era where I first got into Coldplay (which led me back to the older stuff which I now prefer!) so I'm not as negative about it as I see some people are! That said, Princess of China always gets a skip when I'm listening to the album. Just a bit too synth-y for my liking! (Saw somebody earlier in the thread call UFO 'pointless'- what an absolutely disgraceful opinion ;) A beautiful song!)

Ghost Stories- Initially thought I didn't like the album at all, and really didn't enjoy Midnight and Another's Arms. Listening back, however, the whole album has grown on me massively. True Love, however, is pretty dreadful.

AHFOD- I bloody love this album. There, I said it. I could listen through it again and again and have no problems (as long as I skip to the next track as soon as Army of One has finished- X Marks the Spot can remain secret. Awful.) My main problem with this album, though, is the lyrics and Chris' diction. Most of the time I have no idea what he's actually singing (see- Birds), and a lot of the time the lyrics seem a lot more childish compared to some of the amazing stuff that came before, mainly on VLV (lyrically, I mean).

Others- Miracles (Someone Special) is absolutely horrendous. I love it musically, and the chorus chords/melody are absolutely brilliant, but the lyrics are the worst that Chris has written by a long way. Awful grammar, random references to famous 'good guys' and just cheese to the max. I wish the words were better, because it could so easily be one of my favourites.

Aliens- I just can't agree with the track at all. I can see why some people would love it but I just can't make sense of it.

Gravity- This is the worst Coldplay song because of how it was treated. Should have been on an album. I bloody love it.

I like the way you did this.

Parachutes- Spies is maybe my least favorite studio album song.

AROBTTH- My favorite album, Green Eyes is pretty forgettable though.

X&Y- Masterpiece. The Hardest Part and White Shadows are meh. The stripped down piano version (like on LRLRL) of THP is really good though.

VLV- Love them all. Even Yes.

MX- Princess of China can just disappear as far as I'm concerned.

GS- Another's Arms is meh.

AHFOD- I'm so sick of HFTW and AOAL, although I initially liked AOAL and the guitar riff. AHFOD and Birds are awesome. Amazing Day and Up&Up are pleasant enough. The rest is really forgettable.

I couldn't get through this without saying Pour Me is absolutely horrific.

Coldplay songs that I wish were scrapped from most worst to least worst:

Parachutes album: We Never Change, Life is for Living, Parachutes (it sounds unfinished, why have it as this song as album title?)

AROBTTH Album: Green Eyes (despite seeing live as C-Stage request) AROBTTH, Amsterdam, Daylight

X&Y album: A Message and Swallowed in the Sea. I’m undecided about The Hardest Part, some days it’s okay sometimes its bleh. The LRLRL version of course as Zero_Theory has mentioned is the best.

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Prospekts March edition album: Prospekts March (Poppyfields is okay though) and Now My Feet Won’t Touch The Ground.

Mylo Xyloto album: Up with the Birds and Up in Flames are meh. Fantastic album though, probably my faveourite!

Ghost Stories: Oceans is meh but still not bad, and the reprise is nice.

A Head Full Of Dreams: Fun (hate the music but vocals are good) and undecided about XMTS.

Parachutes album: We Never Change, Life is for Living, Parachutes (it sounds unfinished, why have it as this song as album title?)

AROBTTH Album: Green Eyes (despite seeing live as C-Stage request) AROBTTH, Amsterdam, Daylight

X&Y album: A Message and Swallowed in the Sea. I’m undecided about The Hardest Part, some days it’s okay sometimes its bleh. The LRLRL version of course as Zero_Theory has mentioned is the best.

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends - Prospekts March edition album: Prospekts March (Poppyfields is okay though) and Now My Feet Won’t Touch The Ground.

Mylo Xyloto album: Up with the Birds and Up in Flames are meh. Fantastic album though, probably my faveourite!

A Head Full Of Dreams: Fun (hate the music but vocals are good) and undecided about XMTS.

I know we're all allowed to have our own opinions but seeing AROBTTH, Amsterdam and Swallowed in the Sea on your list makes my heart cry. I need to go and lie down in a dark room now. Thanks Jordanator :oops:;)

Wow, some of my favourite songs are on this list....

Fun’s music is bad!? :o