✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

The more I listen to the songs the more I am excited for what’s to come! Keep in mind Annie Mac said what her top five favourite songs of this album are, and these two aren’t even on that list! So I’m assuming we can expect some pretty crazy and amazing stuff moving forward

• Like 6

I like Orphans in a number of ways, but I’m really unsure about the ‘fun’ musical quality of the line ‘bombs go boom ba boom boom’: it feels really trivialising (for a song about orphans of war), or just weird? Am I missing something?!

• Like 2

You know something I didn't really want more of from Coldplay until now? Long instrumental sections. Arabesque executes that perfectly.

Arabesque came when Brian Eno kicked out Chris from the studio!

Brian Eno is fucking genius!

I had really hoped to hear more material with Brian Eno. I hope he's credited at least on this track.

I know right? Just having the sax solo wasn't enough for them, they even threw in some ambient guitar texturing to round out the sound. This is something I totally wouldn't have expected from them anytime soon. I'm so so glad they didn't follow the Los Unidades sound for this album. I am SUPER hyped.

Yeah, there was some concern that they'd go with more of the Los Unidades sound since after all it was world music-inspired pop. This is harder hitting, less simplistic, more bold.

Gosh I can't get enough of these tracks. I notice something new every time. It's those little things that help give the songs so much replay value outside of just how catchy the melodies are.

• Like 3

Concerning album length:

Chris mentions in his interview with Annie Mac that there are "voice memos" on the album. I wonder if "Daddy" is a 30-60 second recording of one of their kids saying "daddy"? And then maybe "Guns" or "Eko" are recordings, or short instrumentals as well. That would help cut down more time for the remaining tracks. Sucks it's not longer, but I ain't gonna complain about 50+ minutes of new Coldplay!

• Like 8

I like Orphans in a number of ways, but I’m really unsure about the ‘fun’ musical quality of the line ‘bombs go boom ba boom boom’: it feels really trivialising (for a song about orphans of war), or just weird? Am I missing something?!

Yeah I don't know. Like I think he's getting at the fact that everday life includes bombs and war, BUT the people that are victims of violence also have hopes and dreams and that's worth celebrating. However, I'm concerned the lyrics on this song don't maybe do enough in 3 minutes to say that in a more nuanced way. But maybe on the final album it will make more sense.

• Like 2

The more I listen to the songs the more I am excited for what’s to come! Keep in mind Annie Mac said what her top five favourite songs of this album are, and these two aren’t even on that list! So I’m assuming we can expect some pretty crazy and amazing stuff moving forward

Keep in mind music is subjective, so for some the songs we heard will end up being our favorite, but I suppose out of that many tracks there must be at least another which is better. Only time will tell. Those 5 tracks will be at the bottom of others' list's, who knows?

Yeah, there was some concern that they'd go with more of the Los Unidades sound since after all it was world music-inspired pop. This is harder hitting, less simplistic, more bold.

I guess that's half the reason they released it under a different name anyhow. This sounds like "world music-inspired pop" too but with less of a focus on the mainstream pop elements and more of a focus on experimental soundscapes and alternative textures, has more of an indie vibe to it.

Gosh I can't get enough of these tracks. I notice something new every time. It's those little things that help give the songs so much replay value outside of just how catchy the melodies are.

Yep. That's why much of pop music is so forgettable these days, there's nothing extra in the production quality that makes it replayable and it just gets boring and stale after a while. But the best music I find has those different aspects that keep it not only replayable and fun but fresh for years to come. Like years after I heard Paranoid Android I heard a very very subtle robotic voice in the background, like it's musically freaking ingenious (nothing surprising from Radiohead).

• Like 3

Concerning album length:

Chris mentions in his interview with Annie Mac that there are "voice memos" on the album. I wonder if "Daddy" is a 30-60 second recording of one of their kids saying "daddy"? And then maybe "Guns" or "Eko" are recordings, or short instrumentals as well. That would help cut down more time for the remaining tracks. Sucks it's not longer, but I ain't gonna complain about 50+ minutes of new Coldplay!

Only two Coldplay albums have surpassed the 50 minute mark: AROBTTH and X&Y. It has been rare to get more than 45 minutes of music from the band at a time during their career but I'll take it!

• Like 6

Chris mentions in his interview with Annie Mac that there are "voice memos" on the album. I wonder if "Daddy" is a 30-60 second recording of one of their kids saying "daddy"? And then maybe "Guns" or "Eko" are recordings, or short instrumentals as well. That would help cut down more time for the remaining tracks.

Let's remember Mylo supposedly had 14 tracks but a few ended up being instrumental intros to the main songs, so it might be something similar here as well. I'd consider 16 tracks enough for a double album but I wonder how many of these are those kinds of tracks. Hopefully none and they keep them in the songs themself but you never know. Or hopefully those tracks contribute to the album in some way outside of acting as instrumental intros.

Yeah I don't know. Like I think he's getting at the fact that everday life includes bombs and war, BUT the people that are victims of violence also have hopes and dreams and that's worth celebrating. However, I'm concerned the lyrics on this song don't maybe do enough in 3 minutes to say that in a more nuanced way. But maybe on the final album it will make more sense.

Coldplay isn't the strongest band lyrically so other could definitely do it, but this sounds more like a radio single to introduce people to the sound of this album in more of a pop friendly way, hence the youthful lyrics of the intro. I think despite the cringe of some of the lyrics, there's more to dig into as the song's more than just about wanting to be young again and getting drunk, it's about orphans of war which is a topic I'm glad Coldplay's exploring as they've definitely become more socially and politically conscious over the years, especially the past few.

Again the lyrics could have been better and more nuanced but Coldplay's not necessarily known for lyrical subtlety and ingenious, especially as of late. It's perhaps too bad but ah well.

• Like 2

Brian Eno brings out the best in them. He takes them from the straightforward Parachutes/A Rush Of Blood band and channels that raw talent for song making into the likes of Arabesque, VLV, Violet Hill, Cemeteries of London etc.

Nailed it. From Yes to Major Minus to Arabesque, Eno-Coldplay is the most inventive Coldplay.

• Like 7

What did she say her five favorites were? Just curious

Really really curious now as to how the rest of the album will sound like.

Arabesque on the sunrise side and Orphans on the sunset is surprising. From their respective sounds, I would think it would be the other way round.

I was expecting the album to sound like the sounds of Orphans so thank god for Arabesque. But will Arabesque would be a one off like Midnight? Man, I hope not. Cause if Arabesque is a hint of how the rest of sunrise will sound like, this album will be cracking.

• Like 3

What is this?! I mist it a lamp? A globe? idk!!!

[ATTACH type=full" alt="9474]9474[/ATTACH]

From the coldplay website right? at the bottom? I assume a classic version of the hot air balloon like with the previous era to say concert gigs are coming : )

• Like 5

From the coldplay website right? at the bottom? I assume a classic version of the hot air balloon like with the previous era to say concert gigs are coming : )

Yep, I just needed to be sure I wasn’t imagining it!!! Hehehe thanks! It is a hot air ballon :laughing:

• Like 1

I'm so happy about the new songs and I'm extremely excited for the whole album to come out! As this is the first time for me following the appearance of a new Coldplay album so actively, I really feel quite weird now that the new "era" started, you know what I mean? It's just that after all that time I've got used so much to the state it was for such a long time now and it's of course not that I don't want to hear new music, please don't get me wrong - not at all haha!:heart: I just wanted to ask if you guys maybe experienced the same feeling at the beginning of new eras and if so, I'd really like to know when it stopped. Maybe it's just me, but especially now this kind of new beginning seems so intense. I do trust them and I know it's gonna be great! Just wanted to share my feelings and hope someone can relate <3 . :moon::sunrise:

• Like 6

This release was well-planned. I get the feeling Coldplay knows there are three groups of Coldplayers- those who like the older stuff, those who like the newer stuff and those who like it all, with some more nuanced folks like myself in between. They had one song for each.

Also, Orphans reminds me of Fun in the way that I think the verse lyrics are fantastic and the chorus lyrics are nothing special.

• Like 3