✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

this has been discussed multiple times but let's do this again

album is 53m

A and O take up 9m

44m remain

add 2 interludes about 1m each

42m remain for 12 songs

assume one song Is long like 5+m

That leaves the other songs being 2 to 3.5m long

• Like 2

Short songs are kind of in right now. Makes them more streamable (profitable). But really I think a lot of artists, especially in hip-hop, are feeling more comfortable distilling a song down to it's essence and serving it up without traditional Opening - verse - bridge - chorus - verse - bridge chorus - verse/extended bridge - chorus - outro. Kind of gets predictable after a while.

Agree what's most important is what your putting in that time. Did AOAL need the extra verse? I'd argue no because it had nothing to offer.

• Like 3

Short songs are kind of in right now. Makes them more streamable (profitable). But really I think a lot of artists, especially in hip-hop, are feeling more comfortable distilling a song down to it's essence and serving it up without traditional Opening - verse - bridge - chorus - verse - bridge chorus - verse/extended bridge - chorus - outro. Kind of gets predictable after a while.

Agree what's most important is what your putting in that time. Did AOAL need the extra verse? I'd argue no because it had nothing to offer.

I'd like to see what they do in a shorter format I guess?? My only critique with some of Coldplay's discography is that the songs have a tendency to run long at times, it works a lot but gets tedious after a while (I second that statement about AOAL). Still, 53 minutes is quite a small window for 16 tracks, esp for Coldplay's standards.

• Like 2

I'd like to see what they do in a shorter format I guess?? My only critique with some of Coldplay's discography is that the songs have a tendency to run long at times, it works a lot but gets tedious after a while (I second that statement about AOAL). Still, 53 minutes is quite a small window for 16 tracks, esp for Coldplay's standards.

Seeing how that most of the songs might be interludes/voice memos I guess we shouldn’t be surprised?

My surprise is that we aren’t getting an actual double CD but getting much like X&Y instead.

• Like 1

Okay y'all were right. On Coldplay.com it says "Good evening. We are very excited to report that Coldplay’s eighth album, Everyday Life, will be released on Friday, November 22 on CD, vinyl, cassette and digital formats. The 53-minute double album is divided into two halves, Sunrise and Sunset. The album’s cover image is based around a 1919 photo of Jonny’s great-grandfather’s band."

• Like 4

Just had a thought about "Flags", from the Japanese extended release.

Chris said in the interview with Annie Mac that Orphans came in reeeeally late in the process, like the last day or two of studio time.

Seems likely that Flags was one of the original tracks that made it to the double album, and Orphans came in late and shafted it.

Kinda like Up In Flames from MX.

• Like 3

Where is this 53 minute number coming from? I can't imagine this being a double album if it's a literal minute shorter than AROBTTH (and quite a bit shorter than X&Y) or 8 minutes faster than the average Coldplay LP. I'll eat my hat if it's really that short.

Wow,many years since my last post here,but I'm back!

For me,a true 'double album' is literally one that comes on 2 physical discs.Presumably the vinyl EL will be that,but 53 mins of music comfortably fits onto a single CD.The band's concept is obviously 2 different short song cycles fitting an overarching idea.The band have released 'songs' previously with actual titles that are little more than sketches or interludes.I'm assuming EL will be a mix of these and proper length songs.

• Like 5

Chris said this on an interview to iHeart Radio today: “The album is very sexy, it’s all about partying. It’s just like Vegas on a Thursday night, put on some Coldplay, put on your bikini, even if you’re a guy... You go out and get laddered up! - That’s what it’s about."

I confess I'm a little bit concerned now

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Chris said this on an interview to iHeart Radio today: “The album is very sexy, it’s all about partying. It’s just like Vegas on a Thursday night, put on some Coldplay, put on your bikini, even if you’re a guy... You go out and get laddered up! - That’s what it’s about."

I confess I'm a little bit concerned now

Hey so he was joking haha classic Chris joke! He followed up by saying: "the music we're making right now is very earthy, there's not really much glamour to it, it's very raw".

He was joking haha I saw the interview and he was most definitely fooling around with the Vegas stuff lol!

• Like 9

Do you guys know if we are getting another single? I really need more songs!!!!!!

I'm thinking 2 weeks before the album is out? We got two songs last week, I would think 2 more songs next week, then the album is out two weeks after that! Could be wrong though

• Like 2

Well, for me the short duration of the album is something quite disappointing.

We had been promised a double album, and it really is a single CD with 16 tracks in just 53 minutes. Basically an XY 2.

Apart from the fact that the songs could be better or worse (I don't know what to think because Orphans seems to me that it is to continue with the worst of AHFOD and MX) I think it is very short-lived and that certainly does not resemble what they themselves they had told.

This adds to the news that there will be no tour for this album, which means that even if the rest of the songs are in the Arabesque style, they will be stuck in a drawer, like much of their previous discography. Next year we will presumably have another album with commercial music that will continue with the AHFOD ... anyway.

• Like 2

Well guys... We'll have our answer very soon, i think it's useless to overthink.

X&Y is way too long IMO and my least favourite album from them so that's not a bad thing ... On the other side, Viva la Vida lasts 45 min with 10 songs but with 3 hidden tracks so we could say 13 songs for 45 min ... Anyway we'll see.

• Like 1

Well guys... We'll have our answer very soon, i think it's useless to overthink.

X&Y is way too long IMO and my least favourite album from them so that's not a bad thing ... On the other side, Viva la Vida lasts 45 min with 10 songs but with 3 hidden tracks so we could say 13 songs for 45 min ... Anyway we'll see.

I loved x&y. Always got that spacey vibe from it.

• Like 3

^well maybe its like a mix of choral effects and jazz instrumentation?

On Chris' "raw" and "earthy" comments --

Where do we see the Everyday Life Era fitting in sonically? Coldplay albums have never really fit one genre, especially the last few, but these comments make me wonder if a lot of the record is acoustic?

Will they draw inspiration from early U2? Jazz obviously will play a role, but what does earthy mean? That makes me think of granola jam bands haha

• Like 3