Welcome to Coldplaying!

By signing up you will receive access to the largest Coldplay fan site and hundreds of Coldplay downloads!

1. NOTICE: Coldplay Downloads are now back up! Sorry for the downtime
    Dismiss Notice

Coldplay's Magic 'has been named the perfect song to overcome fear'

Discussion in 'Ghost Stories (2014)' started by grids, Jul 16, 2014.

Share This Page

1. grids

By:gridsJul 16, 2014
    I'm not that great
    Coldplayer

[​IMG]

Music streaming service Spotify has teamed up with cognitive psychology and neuroscience expert Jacob Jolij from the University of Groningen to discover the top emotion-inducing tracks.

"Music can have powerful effects on our emotions: from making us happy, to enabling the ability to overcome fear, certain music can trigger emotions and hormones that directly affect our moods," Jolij explained.

"Furthermore some research suggests that the major key unconsciously reminds you of a falling pitch - a feature which in both human and animal vocalisations asserts dominance and confidence."

OneRepublic's 'I Need' has been linked to sadness because it is "slower and in a minor key", while Coldplay's 'Magic' has been named the perfect song to overcome fear.

"Music that can help you to overcome fear needs to be slow, relaxing, but have major chords to evoke positive feelings and lyrics that deal with your negative thoughts, such as Coldplay's 'Magic'," Jolij said.

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/music/new...proven-to-make-you-happy.html#~oKbmAmhLaAKvHJ

2. Sparky

By:SparkyJul 16, 2014
    Turn Your Magic On
    Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

Moved to Coldplay forum :p

3. grids

By:gridsJul 16, 2014
    I'm not that great
    Coldplayer

Lol thanks, I couldnt make a thread on the Coldplay section on tapatalk so thats why I chose How We See The World :p

4. Batman

By:BatmanJul 16, 2014
    My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
    Coldplayer

Fascinating.

The effect of music on living beings is fascinating anyway. To think that humans have been making music for thousands of years is, to me, a somewhat very heartwarming thought. It's such a basic thing, and even if we think we don't have any musical talents, we still do whistle or hum from time to time. I wonder where this urge to make melodies come from. Maybe from the fact that words alone can't transport an emotion, or feeling well enough.

The four members of Coldplay must have found a way to create the most adapted subliminal musical sequences for us people, otherwise I think they wouldn't be so successful, because the lyrics itself can't be the reason.

/random thoughts

5. Cobalt

By:CobaltJul 16, 2014
    OH SUCH THE SHAME!
    Coldplayer

Weirdly coincidental given the subject matter too

6. Batman

By:BatmanJul 16, 2014
    My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
    Coldplayer

^ indeed

Must be useful to be able to write songs that heal yourself emotionally

7. Christa42

By:Christa42Jul 16, 2014
    Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
    Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

Nice! Thanks for the article

8. anacaren08

By:anacaren08Jul 20, 2014
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

Coldplay's music has always seemed to have a healing quality. It's really cool to see some research being done that supports the idea of the healing power of music. I think I better listen to more Magic since I'm still terrified of driving :(