Welcome to Coldplaying!

The sun and the moon...Solar eclipse...1919...Coldplay? Discuss Coldplay's upcoming album and all the theories on Coldplaying! سلام و حب

SignUp Now!

===The Ultimate Coldplaying Thread===S, BS, BR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM, MX, GS, AHFOD===

alisbe

We're diamonds taking shape
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I was thinking about this the other day. Why do I like some songs? And I thought I like the guitar riff in some songs (Spies), the bass in Magic or Things I Don't Understand, the drums in ETIAW, Chris voice in Amazing Day or UATW, or the way the band sound in Viva La Vida.
What about you? What do you like from a specific song?

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
I was thinking about this the other day. Why do I like some songs? And I thought I like the guitar riff in some songs (Spies), the bass in Magic or Things I Don't Understand, the drums in ETIAW, Chris voice in Amazing Day or UATW, or the way the band sound in Viva La Vida.
What about you? What do you like from a specific song?
Oooh nice question, here are my favourites:

- Violet Hill's intro
- Clock's background synth
- the intro of the Live DVD 2003 Yellow version
Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYuyar-rrNY

SYNTH ORGASM RIGHT THERE. I will forever love this
- Daylight's bass (especially toward the end where Chris repeats "slowly breaking through the daylight" over and over again)
- Easy To Please's background noises and Chris really high vocals (and the very soft echo of them)
- During Fix You, towards the end, there's this one guitar that starts playing at around 3:57~4:00 something. It sounds like a bass guitar I think. It just adds something to the already epic outro
- The outro soundscape of Speed of Sound. I think it's the guitar that creates this strange raw sound slowly drowning out, I just love it
- In the Intro of Life In Technicolor there's a riff Jonny plays that you can only clearly hear live, it's very ambient like:
Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llHkLrHzZGA

it starts at 00:20. I have other recordings where it is much subtler which I prefer
- Up With The Birds, when Chris starts singing "the sky is blue" somewhere at the 00:42 mark and that giant rich soundscape kicks in, jESUS :dead:
- Prospekts March, when this line starts "but here I lie on my own in a seperate sky" the synths or whatever it is playing in the background, it's so emotional. I wish I had the instrumental of that song. And the outro is also fantastic, that guitar sounds so sad..
- Fun, the guitar. I only like this song because of that depressing guitar haha

alisbe

Coldplayer
Charity Donator
^^ I also like the intro for Yellow in the Live 2003 it's so perfect!
Easy to Please is also one of my favorite songs. Chris plays with his voice and goes from low to high so easily.
Prospekt's March is the saddest song but at the same time the most beautiful. The whole band takes part in a specific moment which makes it sound great.
And that version of Life in Technicolor is one of the best I've heard. Plus the quality is so good I could hear the instruments. Funnily, I like the cymbals in this specific video. They add a great sound like the bell in VLV.

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
- Up With The Birds, when Chris starts singing "the sky is blue" somewhere at the 00:42 mark and that giant rich soundscape kicks in, jESUS :dead:
By the way, it's my new fav Coldplay song.

Every single bit of that song is perfect. From the way it starts, all low and sad, than it explodes into that, this massive soundscape that goes on for a minute or so, is just wonderful, then it all ends there with him singing "Up withh the birds..." Swear that makes me cry every time. Then the strings always hit me... (transitions to next part) The opening guitar in the first part is fantastic. Chris' vocals combined with the strings after that, again, just perfect. Drums kick in and the "Simple thought, but I know one day, good things are coming our way" -- not the most advanced lyrics (as the "A simple thought/plot" explains, which I like). It just gets better, with one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever writen. "YEAHHHHHHH" then it drops and the piano outro.... don't care what anyone says, best part of any song ever written, hands down. Up With The Birds is absolutely fantastic, Coldplay's true, and not well known, masterpiece. There are no words to describe it.

I wish there'd be another song out there like it. I heard someone else say that they're making an album (it's a user on this forum) and one of the songs is going to be an even more euphoric version of UWTB. Don't know how that's even possible but if he makes it happen I will totally do something to make his year.

cp3176

Kaleidoscopes
Coldplayer
- Prospekts March, when this line starts "but here I lie on my own in a seperate sky" the synths or whatever it is playing in the background, it's so emotional. I wish I had the instrumental of that song. And the outro is also fantastic, that guitar sounds so sad..
The only other Coldplay song that can make me cry other than UWTB. That line hits me every time. :cry: I love the background noise or whatever you'd call it that starts right around a minute into the song with the lyrics "Drums, here it comes" The way he sings it and the background noise always make me cry when it comes. That "background noise" always gives me a warm feeling but along with Chris' vocals simply make me cry. It places #7 on my Coldplay list. (And I tell you those other 6 songs are pretty freaking good if it can beat Prospekt's March). I think of Prospekt's March as a sadder, calmer, and quieter UWTB. IMO, it's the saddest song Coldplay have made, with "But here I lie on my own in a seperate sky" being Coldplay's saddest lyric.

AMDB9

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
When a mod/@EasySuperstition99 ever gets around to editing the title of this thread to have 3 equal signs and some capital T's, can he or she add the letters "PM" after VLVODAAHF to represent the Prospekt's March EP? Thanks!

Edit: and change VLV to VLVODAAHF?

K

kmm1482

It don't get no better than Strawberry Swing. The lyrics are simple, yet not pandering and infantile. And how he doesn't (at least not audibly) complete the whole "Sky could be blue"/"without you I'm just miles away" line is something we don't hear often anymore, that improvised feel to a song. To me, Viva felt like the band at their closest, personally, to each other. Like they were having the most fun. It kind of seems like an obligation to them now.

AMDB9

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
^^Especially the way you can hear them talking at the beginning and end of the song. And the clapping sounds real like it was recorded in an empty room....not like the silly background claps that run throughout AHFOD

K

kmm1482

^^Especially the way you can hear them talking at the beginning and end of the song. And the clapping sounds real like it was recorded in an empty room....not like the silly background claps that run throughout AHFOD
Yes!! Like the producer threw it on late in the production or its from some machine

alisbe

Coldplayer
Charity Donator
It don't get no better than Strawberry Swing. The lyrics are simple, yet not pandering and infantile. And how he doesn't (at least not audibly) complete the whole "Sky could be blue"/"without you I'm just miles away" line is something we don't hear often anymore, that improvised feel to a song. To me, Viva felt like the band at their closest, personally, to each other. Like they were having the most fun. It kind of seems like an obligation to them now.
I can hear what you describe here on Birds and Ghost Stories. Ghost Stories is one of the albums where I can hear the whole band is supporting each other. In songs like Oceans or UATW we don't have to hear all the band is playing in the whole song, they take part when the song needs their contribution. That's what I like in the new songs.

AMDB9

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Yes!! Like the producer threw it on late in the production or its from some machine
Exactly! Maybe it's triggered by Will's drum machine...??

AMDB9

Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
And also about the background clapping in Strawberry Swing....it just sounded normal like it was a necessary part in order to create that lighthearted feeling. It is truly what drives the song along.
All of the new clapping just is sugary stuff that's thrown in to make the songs sound mainstream.
(Sorry, this post sounds like it should be in the Oldplaying thread :p)

Spider-Man

Running In The Dark
Coldplayer
Oooh nice question, here are my favourites:

- Violet Hill's intro
- Clock's background synth
- the intro of the Live DVD 2003 Yellow version
Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYuyar-rrNY

SYNTH ORGASM RIGHT THERE. I will forever love this
- Daylight's bass (especially toward the end where Chris repeats "slowly breaking through the daylight" over and over again)
- Easy To Please's background noises and Chris really high vocals (and the very soft echo of them)
- During Fix You, towards the end, there's this one guitar that starts playing at around 3:57~4:00 something. It sounds like a bass guitar I think. It just adds something to the already epic outro
- The outro soundscape of Speed of Sound. I think it's the guitar that creates this strange raw sound slowly drowning out, I just love it
- In the Intro of Life In Technicolor there's a riff Jonny plays that you can only clearly hear live, it's very ambient like:
Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llHkLrHzZGA

it starts at 00:20. I have other recordings where it is much subtler which I prefer
- Fun, the guitar. I only like this song because of that depressing guitar haha
I love all those background ambient noises too! Good post Thalia!

alisbe

Coldplayer
Charity Donator
And also about the background clapping in Strawberry Swing....it just sounded normal like it was a necessary part in order to create that lighthearted feeling. It is truly what drives the song along.
All of the new clapping just is sugary stuff that's thrown in to make the songs sound mainstream.
(Sorry, this post sounds like it should be in the Oldplaying thread :p)
That's ok. After all this is the ultimate coldplaying thread. We prefer the positive point of view and great discussions. As long as you don't say our taste in music is rubbish that's ok :p
I don't know anything about production but I think the clapping is intended to sound cleaner (I hope that make sense) for example in the Live Lounge we can hear (and see) during AOAL the live clapping which sounds good but in the album we don't expect to hear background sounds like noises. While, Strawberry Swing keep the clapping natural at the beginning but later it sounds less normal. Or the background noise in Easy To Please gives a good atmosphere to the song but I don't want the band to repeat that in another song it'll be less creative.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
I must admit I did not even notice the clapping on Adventure until it was pointed out here on a thread or in a review I read *lol*

Now every time I hear it I see the monkeys in the video doing the clap dance haha

K

kmm1482

I must admit I did not even notice the clapping on Adventure until it was pointed out here on a thread or in a review I read *lol*

Now every time I hear it I see the monkeys in the video doing the clap dance haha
For as much as I don't like the new album, I really quite like AOAL and the video

Jaytheblue

Another Human Speciman
Coldplayer
^^ really? I found the video a little... Stupid. But I guess it's them trying to stay away from like the guy with girl backup dancer stereotype

Stephie

My heart is my gun
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Aw, that intro to Yellow during the AROBTTH tour was just brilliant. I wish they would have kept it forever, because it fit the song so well.

Really enjoyed reading the last posts and everyone's favourites in here! :)