✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

I edited the latest background image of coldplay's homepage a little bit

https://www.coldplay.com/assets/img/bg-wide.jpg

and I dont know what I try to find if I zoom in there (especially in the middle part of the picture) but I had to think of old temples and stuff. Do I see an holy elephant in there or am I going in to deep!? At least it is a very nice piece of art I think.

Scale down:

Brightness: -50 Halftones: -100

bg-wide-darkside.thumb.jpg.634dfb3814f0b38fad8538c78ba8798d.jpg

• Like 3

From looking at the new designs and the general old fashioned look the Coldplay website and their social media platforms are sporting, I dearly hope their new album is more oriented towards "back-to-the-roots" fashioned stuff, and less electronic and all-over-the-place like their last two albums.

Oh boy, what can I say, I'm actually excited! [ATTACH type=full" alt="9424]9424[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="9425]9425[/ATTACH]

I sincerely hope you’re right!

I’m actually very partial to the titles and album artwork.

The cross between old timey/Arabic influences seems very strange to me but I guess it will all make sense in due time.

From some of the titles it looks like war may be a central theme, I love the alternative music video for Violet Hill and the video which was used for Politik on the last tour, if this is a commentary on the wars in the Middle East I think we’re going to be in for a big treat.

Then again, before LP7 a lot of people were convinced we were going to get a psychedelic rock album from the artwork and track list so this could very well still be a new play album.

Cautious optimism is the feeling of the day for me.

• Like 6

I edited the latest background image of coldplay's homepage a little bit

https://www.coldplay.com/assets/img/bg-wide.jpg

and I dont know want I try to find if I zoom in there (especially in the middle part of the picture) but I had to think of old temples and stuff. Do I see an holy elephant in there or am I going in to deep!? At least it is a very nice piece of art I think.

Brightness: -50 Halftones: -100

[ATTACH=full]9429[/ATTACH]

I think its the same background that was used for lp7

I wonder if this album was built off all of the scrapped material around the Viva/Mylo eras?

For those who don't know, Coldplay was working on a follow up (LP5) to Viva that was originally super acoustic and indie sounding (see original Charlie Brown in AHFOD Film), but they decided they'd rather do something bigger, louder, and more colorful. This is potentially where Car Kids, ALIENS, Arabesque, Drunks and Guns, and other tracks were scrapped. You also have amazing demos like

/
l,

It's possible they knew they were going to keep those demos and put them into a big package eventually since they didn't fit into the more mainstream album cycles. And maybe here we are??? Then again, it could all be new material and those demos above could have been incorporated into releases already (wedding bells and U.F.O or Atlas?).

EDIT: And maybe that'd make sense for the "last 100 years or therabouts" because from Chris' perspective these songs have existed for a super long time but just haven't had a home? Or maybe the album will be time-travelly and each song will be inspired by a different decade of music.

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Makes SO much sense now with how Matt posted (well, not much later making an account private, unfortunately) about dusting off Jon's Les Paul giving it a proper runout and fans spotted Chris' No Me Llores acoustic guitar much later in one of the videos!

Which Matt are you talking about? Matt Miller’s (Roadie 42) Instagram account is still public - @millerworld.

• Like 1

I was hoping for a more simplistic album artwork focused around the sun and the moon in the vein of X&Y or GS...seems like the even-numbered albums have simpler art. :p Also the AHFOD font I've always thought is rather stupid looking. The Ghost Stories font fit really well with its art, and so did VLV. But I remain optimistic!!

I wonder what the biggest musical surprise may turn out to be?

-VLV title track was pretty surprising with its use of strings

-MX had Rihanna

-GS had Midnight

-AHFOD had Beyonce, Noel Gallagher, Stargate....and XMTS

-Kaleidoscope had just all around great songs

Some potential surprises?! (and I know I'm not thinking big enough but...)

-Jonny goes jazz

-Jonny goes banjo

-Jonny goes extremely long guitar solo

-Will goes accordion (well Life is for Living DID have accordion to be fair)

-Something that's super percussive (like Lost or Hymn for the Weekend but more acoustic)

-Will singing lead

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Also the AHFOD font I've always thought is rather stupid looking

You're not alone with that opinion :D

By the way I'm finding it really frustrating that after all this time and buildup we still know nothing, and I mean seriously NOTHING at all about how the band will sound on the album.

• Like 4

I got interested in the song title Cry Cry Cry and googled and found out it's a Johnny Cash song...

...with these lyrics :eyes:

Everybody knows where you go when the sun goes down

I think you only live to see the lights of town

I wasted my time when I would try, try, try

When the lights have lost their glow you're gonna cry, cry, cry

Soon your sugar-daddies will all be gone

You wake up some cold day and find you're alone

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 7
  • Angry 1

I got interested in the song title Cry Cry Cry and googled and found out it's a Johnny Cash song...

I’f it was a cover of that song I would be immensely happy.

• Like 2

And we all know how much they love Jonny Cash.

But odd they would put a cover on their EP.

• Like 1

I would not like a covers album!

I do believe the band has a lot more to give.

The sunrise/sunset concept could be a great compromise between the half of the band that likes to take a more pop direction (Chris & J) and the other half (Guy & W) who prefer a more hi-fi, electronic and soft rock approach.

• Like 2

I think its the same background that was used for lp7

I don't think so. It looks a bit different to me.

Anyone out there who can prove this background picture is new or old? :uhoh:

lmao I did the same thing. I see it! Also I see a dragonfly near the top

I see that dragonfly,too and also a face with a crown and two crosses.

It's funny, the more I look at it the more things I see. :)

The original picture must have been some kind of a pencil rubber artwork on several layers of paper I think!? Do you also see this?

If you look from a different angle into your laptop screen you can see this (doesnt work on mobile phones).

Or download it from their website and change brightness and halftones with image editing functions e.g.

I m curious of all the artwork to come!

bg-wide.jpg

• Like 1

...Some potential surprises?! (and I know I'm not thinking big enough but...)

-Jonny goes jazz

-Jonny goes banjo

-Jonny goes extremely long guitar solo

-Will goes accordion (well Life is for Living DID have accordion to be fair)

-Something that's super percussive (like Lost or Hymn for the Weekend but more acoustic)

-Will singing lead

I think that was a harmonium. They used that for a few tracks in the early days. Also in 'Till Kingdom Come'.

• Like 2

I'm surprised to say that I think the cover art is great. I've always found with Coldplay (and Radiohead) in particular that I loved their album covers because it wasn't just a lazy picture of the members on the cover. Then for AHFoD they had the boys as kids. This cover has them on it but it doesn't feel last-minute or void of creativity. It's almost like the guys (and a few inspirations) in a period piece.

• Like 3

Anyone out there who can prove this background picture is new or old? :uhoh:

The original picture must have been some kind of a pencil rubber artwork on several layers of paper I think!? Do you also see this?

If you look from a different angle into your laptop screen you can see this (doesnt work on mobile phones).

Or download it from their website and change brightness and halftones with image editing functions e.g.

I m curious of all the artwork to come!

bg-wide.jpg

Hm, looks like the inside of a *Church* to me, seriously.

• Like 2

I wonder if this album was built off all of the scrapped material around the Viva/Mylo eras?

For those who don't know, Coldplay was working on a follow up (LP5) to Viva that was originally super acoustic and indie sounding (see original Charlie Brown in AHFOD Film), but they decided they'd rather do something bigger, louder, and more colorful. This is potentially where Car Kids, ALIENS, Arabesque, Drunks and Guns, and other tracks were scrapped. You also have amazing demos like

/
l,

It's possible they knew they were going to keep those demos and put them into a big package eventually since they didn't fit into the more mainstream album cycles. And maybe here we are??? Then again, it could all be new material and those demos above could have been incorporated into releases already (wedding bells and U.F.O or Atlas?).

EDIT: And maybe that'd make sense for the "last 100 years or therabouts" be

cause from Chris' perspective these songs have existed for a super long time but just haven't had a home? Or maybe the album will be time-travelly and each song will be inspired by a different decade of music.

Uow. That's awesome. Nice memory. I remember that talks of acoustic album too. I think you are on to something here. That makes sense for me.

• Like 1