✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 10 - My Universe | Coldplay X BTS | Music of the Spheres

I actually liked the leak and I still enjoy listening to it, more than HP. And it is much much better than SJLT and XMTS. Of course I agree with you that Coloratura and old Coldplay are better, this is not the point ? they can make a good pop/funky song too

I just hope the studio version of MU will not have too much rap, the leaked version is just fine without that

I'm hyped for this. BTS are one of the most fun and charismatic pop outfits in the world, a perfect fit for the sounds Coldplay love to show on their more joyous chart-pop tracks. Chorus has hit written all over it, and that outro bops too. Production sounds rich and layered. It won't be one of the band's classics, of course, but it should be a fun pop tune. 

We know two more art-y and emotional tracks will be on the album, and the trailer showed off some more abrasive sounds too. I, for one, am loving this post-AHFOD era of the band, pure eclecticism and freedom. I know their best albums are behind them, but that's the case for hundreds of artists who are still worth listening to. I'm grateful for all the masterpieces, and now I'm here for the era of just seeing where the inspiration takes them. This one sounds fun. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Complaining with the guys for performing such a sellout nowadays is really out of place, they started selling out 11 years ago with MX, the only thing left is to appreciate the proper good songs they release once in a while when they remember who they were before the worst.

We knew from the beginning what was the purpose for My Universe, and it was not artistically related. At least I can say that imho there are far worse songs in their catalogue (Princess Of China, A Sky Full Of Stars, Miracles, Something Just Like This, Hymn For The Weekend, X Marks The Spot, Orphans)

Edited by beastwars
  • Haha 2

First time I'm just not feeling it. It's a fun song for sure but not really my cup of tea. I do like the instrumental version though, some interesting things happening in the background there. The best part for me is definitely the closing instrumental seconds. Higher Power is waaaay better than My Universe. For me Higher Power will remain one of their best 'pop' songs they've ever released. My Universe just feels a bit One Direction imo.

Ah well, we also got Coloratura, Arabesque en practically everything on EL in the past years. So Í'm happy they're happy with this song and I will definititely enjoy it live!

• Love 1

58 minutes ago, beastwars said:

Complaining with the guys for performing such a sellout nowadays is really out of place, they started selling out 11 years ago with MX, the only thing left is to appreciate the proper good songs they release once in a while when they remember who they were before the worst.

We knew from the beginning what was the purpose for My Universe, and it was not artistically related. At least I can say that imho there are far worst songs in their catalogue (Princess Of China, A Sky Full Of Stars, Miracles, Something Just Like This, Hymn For The Weekend, X Marks The Spot, Orphans)

IMO seeing it as a cash grab is quite cynical. Obviously the bands didn't collaborate for the sake of art, but I don't think it was for money either. BTS have idolized Coldplay for quite a while now and Coldplay's message is all about breaking barriers and diversity. 

You know what seems more like a cash grab? Something Just Like This. This collaboration, while obviously not the best song, is far superior production wise and the motives feel a lot more organic rather than forced.

• Like 2

I think I like My Universe more than HP as a radio-friendly song. The chorus is very catchy and the ending is really fun. Nice atmospheric sound near the end as well ! Flawless production by the way... and that point makes this song already better than every single from AHFOD imo..

Edited by Eskapist
  • Like 1

Blimey, what an absolute low point in the band’s canon. This is absolute garbage and the first time I can confidently state that it will be in a class of one, namely Coldplay songs that I will only listen to once and never again. Not a single other track they have released have I done that for and I even tried to give I Bloom Blaum a decent chance…

What really surprises me is that when Chris brought this to the rest of the boys + Phil they didn’t all veto it as it even worthy of continuing past a demo. The hook is crap, the verses are crap, the production is crap. It actually sounds like Chris Martin guesting on someone else’s song and absolutely not a Coldplay song. Worried that this album is going to be very patchy and a poor follow up to Everyday Life which was amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Overall, a 7.5/10 for me. It's a complete and vibrant pop song that will smash the radio and make stadiums explode - not one bit of it isn't instantly melodic, from the verse to the bridge to the hook to the outro. My main issues are that the sound can veer a bit overly-synthetic in places and that horrible, tacky robot voice is ugly as fuck. But it gets the job done, and it's impressive how naturally the band can fit in with the likes of BTS when they originated in such different worlds. 

Works better than Higher Power, doesn't touch Coloratura. We're getting one hell of a variety of sounds, though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Schultz91 said:

Lol this isn’t their best song but this is 100x better than HP. HP is their worst single of all time and one of their worst songs in general. 

I'm very curious what exactly is the thing that makes My Universe a hundred times better. The awful rap part? The outro that will be cut out by every single radio station? It doesn't even have their iconic last explosive chorus unlike Higher Power, ASFOS, SJLT, and other pop songs. My Universe is more repetitive than all of them and just doesn't go anywhere apart from that garbage rap part.

• Love 1

• stephen changed the title to Track 10 - My Universe | Coldplay X BTS | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic