Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

onlylove

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I think they have always been inspired by other musicians and used that as a jumping off point for their work. Especially when they were first starting. Radiohead or "something like them" was clearly an influence. (I love Radiohead though so that is fine with me lol)

I think they also felt inhibited by genre, Chris especially. Looking back, it is inevitable that their sound would change when in interviews they often shied away from being called a rock band.

antdrew

Never in a rush
Coldplayer
Yeah I agree, some of their earlier stuff does sound like radiohead, I've actually just started to get into radiohead through coldplay lol. So yeah doesn't really bother me too much either. I can't remember what interview it was exactly but it was pretty funny, the interviewer was asking Chris about influences in parachutes. And Chris pretty much went through the entire album and said what other band influenced the songs. It was all kinda jokey and just having a bit of fun but yeah their early stuff definitely had influences. Not that it is a bad thing at all, like everyone has to start somewhere and it is still definitely different enough to be their own sound.

prospekt46

"Nu-Sensitive music, that's bollocks though"
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
How could you not be influenced by them, OKC just came out when they started putting tracks out. All of Safety, Easy to Please, Only Superstition, and High Speed are very obviously influenced by them.

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Hot Take- Brothers and Sisters E.P. is really bad

60% of The Blue Room is pretty good.

See You Soon is the best pre-debut album release. And I really love the early version of Don't Panic, but I can see why they changed it for Parachutes.

The Adversary

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
To be honest I like Radiohead but I was never able to relate to them in the same level as Coldplay. Radiohead’s stuff seems maninly a comment on society whereas Coldplay is a lot more introspective.

OK Computer remains a classic though.

onlylove

Up&Up
Coldplayer
To be honest I like Radiohead but I was never able to relate to them in the same level as Coldplay. Radiohead’s stuff seems maninly a comment on society whereas Coldplay is a lot more introspective.

OK Computer remains a classic though.
So I just had this realization this week myself. While I have liked or loved select Radiohead songs and albums, when I tried to start listening to them as a discography I realized I am just at a different point in my life now Coldplay makes me feel euphoric and I love that feeling. I kind of like staying there.

ColdplayingfromKansas

Official Viva Fangirl
Coldplayer
Hot Take- Brothers and Sisters E.P. is really bad
D:

jk, I don't even remember what all is on the B&S EP :laughing:

But both versions of the song Brothers and Sisters are phenomenal! Love that experimental prog-rockish vibe with the distorted guitars and stuff

ColdplayingMama

*Look at the stars, look how they shine for you*
Coldplayer

Christa42

Irresponsible baby clutching onto aeroplane wing
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Hi Lovies, waz up?

JM-42

Life is for Living
Coldplayer
For some reason they usually play 'Parachutes' whenever they're in Brazil and/or Mexico so my next goal is go to a show there

prospekt46

"Nu-Sensitive music, that's bollocks though"
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
doc was gud by the way. Wish is was a little longer or spent more time on each era but the archive footage is primo.

nvdmm

Oldplayer. Too Oldplay
Coldplayer
E-Lo-E-O-Lo-E-O-Lo-Lo-Lo-Lo.

We're entering the 4chan phase of the band's career!

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator

Pleased to see you here @nvdmm !
I was so disappointed at first too but look on the bright side - if Los Unidades keep releasing this type of music, then Coldplay is free do actually make good music again !

Zero Theory

Up&Up
Coldplayer

I remember seeing your posts on here before with the "2003-2011" thing, but I couldn't remember who it was- nice to see you back!
I'm curious, what are your thoughts on MX and GS? I tend to think of myself as an Oldplayer too, but I still like LP5 and 6 (not as much as 2, 3, 4). 7 not so much, lol. But really, imo, Coldplay was 2000-2014 (not a fan of Pre-Parachutes for the most part, though).

nvdmm

Oldplayer. Too Oldplay
Coldplayer
Pleased to see you here @nvdmm !
I was so disappointed at first too but look on the bright side - if Los Unidades keep releasing this type of music, then Coldplay is free do actually make good music again !
Absolutely! We have to remain optimistic and I sincerely hope they remain faithful to their original sound if and when they decide to continue with Coldplay. Los Unidades seems to be more than just a side project for Global Citizen but we're still unaware of the details and what the dynamics are. It's a great initiative though if it turns out to be what we think it is.
I remember seeing your posts on here before with the "2003-2011" thing, but I couldn't remember who it was- nice to see you back!
I'm curious, what are your thoughts on MX and GS? I tend to think of myself as an Oldplayer too, but I still like LP5 and 6 (not as much as 2, 3, 4). 7 not so much, lol. But really, imo, Coldplay was 2000-2014 (not a fan of Pre-Parachutes for the most part, though).
Thank you! 2003-2011 refers to my fanboy period when I followed the band vigorously i.e. paid for their records, went to their live shows and bought merchandise etc. It's not a reference to their music making prowess although their decline began around after VLV and their decline is the reason my fanboy time ended long ago. As for MX and GS I can refer you to my hundreds of posts about those two records but long story short, I see them as missed opportunities. MX could have been something else entirely if they'd released the comics before the album and replaced a lot of the songs (PoC, Paradise etc.) with more raw sounding Major Minus-like tracks. The production was also horrendous. GS suffered the same fate. All Your Friends and Ghost Story should have replaced ASFOS and Ink and the production was again very disappointing. Overall I'm still confident AROBTTH remains their absolute best album to date. It's good the band have realized that majority of people share this opinion.

Last edited:

42JTR

Watching my life on the skyline
Coldplayer
I love Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends so much, I sometimes need to remind myself how lucky I was to have experienced the Viva tour on September 9th, 2009. Sadly I can barely remember how amazing it must've sounded, and I wasn't such a hardcore fan yet back then... Oh what I would give for just a moment to experience that same day again.... Hearing Strawberry Swing, DAAHF, Glass Of Water, 42, Lovers in Japan, Life In Technicolor ii and the list goes on... Even though I still love their music today (I don't identify myself as a new -or oldplayer), I sometimes desperately wonder where the Coldplay of that day has gone...

MarckozZ

Planeta Coldplay
Coldplayer
I love Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends so much, I sometimes need to remind myself how lucky I was to have experienced the Viva tour on September 9th, 2009. Sadly I can barely remember how amazing it must've sounded, and I wasn't such a hardcore fan yet back then... Oh what I would give for just a moment to experience that same day again.... Hearing Strawberry Swing, DAAHF, Glass Of Water, 42, Lovers in Japan, Life In Technicolor ii and the list goes on... Even though I still love their music today (I don't identify myself as a new -or oldplayer), I sometimes desperately wonder where the Coldplay of that day has gone...
At least you experienced that magic on a given time... I actually never got the chance to go to one of their shows, because of not having enough money or because of work... I feel really bad when I think of all the times they came to my country and I never got to see them...