This is interesting.

aaronm360

Up&Up
Coldplayer
They use backing track since a long time. In this video there is 2 electrics guitars but there's only Johnny who played electric guitar, Chris played the acoustic.
View: https://youtu.be/fhzf3t-7ayI
Yes they have always used instrumental backing tracks (mainly strings or extra Instruments they can’t play live) since the AROBTTH/X&Y eras. Then they started using vocal backing tracks during Viva, but it’s only in the past few years since the AHFODT that Chris’ lead vocals have regularly been playback on certain songs, which is a completely different story imo.

Pier62b

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Which songs exactly apart from Clocks? Do you have videos of these songs?

Pier62b

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Are we sure he sang live on the others songs? Maybe the whole show weren't played live. I'm really disappointed he use playback. I heard on Church during the last gig but i didn't know he used playback on the past tour.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I think the other songs on the AHFOD Tour were live. Clocks (entirely) and parts of ASFOS, Up&Up and HFTW (?) were affected.

aaronm360

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I think the other songs on the AHFOD Tour were live. Clocks (entirely) and parts of ASFOS, Up&Up and HFTW (?) were affected.
There are also parts of AHFOD (song) and Viva where the studio vocals are played over the top to boost the live vocals.

Pier62b

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'm starting to think the majority of the songs weren't played live during AHFOD tour. I always thought the instrument they played on stage (guitare, bass, drums, piano) weren't live because they never failed. Everything was too perfect to be played really live. I'm not sure to see them live in the future if it's to listen something completly false and not live at all.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I'm starting to think the majority of the songs weren't played live during AHFOD tour. I always thought the instrument they played on stage (guitare, bass, drums, piano) weren't live because they never failed. Everything was too perfect to be played really live. I'm not sure to see them live in the future if it's to listen something completly false and not live at all.
I can recall the band members playing the occasional wrong note a number of times though !

aaronm360

Up&Up
Coldplayer
I can recall the band members playing the occasional wrong note a number of times though !
I remember Guy playing a wrong note in AHFOD at the BBC Exeter show in 2016, and at the 2017 Cardiff show I went to, Chris invited a fan on stage to play Everglow who wasn’t so good, so he had to take over. They also messed that song up at Glastonbury 2016. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that a lot of the instrumentation was fake, as Guy, Jonny and Will are solid and reliable musicians, but during GS/AHFODT they certainly made use of a lot more advanced pre-recorded backing tracks than in previous tours.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I remember Guy playing a wrong note in AHFOD at the BBC Exeter show in 2016, and at the 2017 Cardiff show I went to, Chris invited a fan on stage to play Everglow who wasn’t so good, so he had to take over. They also messed that song up at Glastonbury 2016. I wouldn’t go as far as to say that a lot of the instrumentation was fake, as Guy, Jonny and Will are solid and reliable musicians, but during GS/AHFODT they certainly made use of a lot more advanced pre-recorded backing tracks than in previous tours.
Yes, and Jonny played a wrong note during ASFOS once. Chris has had piano issues on the B-stage several times (I remember Gelsenkirchen in particular but that was not the only time). They messed up In My Place right in front of me at the C-stage in New Jersey.
Like you said, they are good musicians who just don't mess up very often.

AnaMarie

Still, I always look up to the sky...
Coldplayer
This is very, very interesting, there is nothing wrong with boosting live vocals with studio or pre-recorded vocals; but for example, Church is fully lip-synced,there are no “live vocals” to enhance ...why this song in particular? Not one single performance of this song has had at least a “live vocals” part... is it because it strains Chris’s voice too much???

Last edited:

aaronm360

Up&Up
Coldplayer
This is very, very interesting, there is nothing wrong with boosting live vocals with studio or pre-recorded vocals; but for example, Church is fully lip-synced,there are no “live vocals” to enhance ...why this song in particular? Not one single performance of this song has had at least a “live vocals” part... is it because it strains Chris’s voice too much???
It is interesting to lip-sync the first song in a set, as it wouldn’t give the opportunity for a proper warmup. I’m afraid no one knows the answer except the band (plus maybe Miller and Dan Green :joy:). After Church he sings Trouble in Town live, which is considerably easier

AnaMarie

Still, I always look up to the sky...
Coldplayer
It is interesting to lip-sync the first song in a set, as it wouldn’t give the opportunity for a proper warmup. I’m afraid no one knows the answer except the band (plus maybe Miller and Dan Green :joy:). After Church he sings Trouble in Town live, which is considerably easier
Yeah! That’s what I find so interesting and puzzling... if we could only read their minds hehehe!!
besides, it makes me sad ‘cause I truly want to listen to Church LIVE!!

aaronm360

Up&Up
Coldplayer
Yeah! That’s what I find so interesting and puzzling... if we could only read their minds hehehe!!
besides, it makes me sad ‘cause I truly want to listen to Church LIVE!!
Yes me too, he did sing the end part of it live in the last performance of the EL ‘tour’ though, and at least Nora’s part was live. All we can hope is that on the next series of performances (whether that’s a big tour or some more small intimate performance) we will get it live!