✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP8 Thread - Everyday Life

stephen

[GUESS] When will the next LP be released?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. [GUESS] When will the next LP be released?

• Earlier...
    • 1st half of 2020
    • 2nd half of 2020
    • 1st half of 2021
    • 2nd half of 2021
    • Later...

This poll is closed to new votes

Gonna try to hold out until the album release to listen to Everyday life, as I don't want to spoil the last track of the album! We shall see how long I last . . .

The reviews from you all are interesting, though. Viva-era strings, similar to Fix You, but ends abruptly? And someone on Reddit compared it to AROBTTH (the song). I'm very intrigued . . .

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Gonna try to hold out until the album release to listen to Everyday life, as I don't want to spoil the last track of the album! We shall see how long I last . . .

The reviews from you all are interesting, though. Viva-era strings, similar to Fix You, but ends abruptly? And someone on Reddit compared it to AROBTTH (the song). I'm very intrigued . . .

Exactly my thoughts. I'm holding off and a lot of the opinions of the song seem to contradict each other, which while it worries me, it makes me more excited too. My one worry is about people saying it goes nowhere, hopefully it's a great song even without that typical Coldplay climax

• Like 2

Wow! Everyday Life is a truly special song, it gives me crazy VLV/AROBTTH vibes, The strings, the guitar, the piano, amazing song! It’s what we’ve been asking for for a couple of eras now, I am truly in love with it!

On the other hand, the live performance of Orphans was INSANE! It sounds even more old-school live than it does in the album, it’s an incredible song as well, this is truly a very special era and I really can’t wait to see what the rest of the album sounds like but it seems to be the album we’ve all been asking for

• Like 6

I was just checking out both the album version and the SNL Live version.

The song in general is amazing and together with the previous two new songs it's promising that the album will be fantastic! Looking forward to it.

Now, in my opinion here the live version of 'Everyday Life' is even better, the studio version partly has auto-tuned vocals...

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Not sure if I stole this idea or not, but interesting though nonetheless:

Having heard 3 of the songs, at its current trajectory, where would you rank Everyday Life as an album amongst the LPs Coldplay has put out so far?

I know, wayyy too soon, plus the full album is coming in a few weeks, but thought id ask!

• Like 2

Having heard 3 of the songs, at its current trajectory, where would you rank Everyday Life as an album amongst the LPs Coldplay has put out so far?

I know, wayyy too soon, plus the full album is coming in a few weeks, but thought id ask!

I would put it ahead of MX and AHFOD but behind the rest until I hear more

• Like 2

Good question! Too early to make assumptions, but I would put it ahead of AHFOD/GS/MX.

Ahead of GS and AHFoD, around X&Y territory. Behind VlVoDaAHF, ARoBttH, P, and MX. I know people are upset that the album is "just" 53 minutes but even after hearing 12 min of it we still have more than three quarters of the album left to hear.

Not gonna lie, at first with Arabesque and Orphans I was thinking EL could slip into my fave album up with VLV and AROBTTH, assuming the album carries a consistent sound from these tracks (more meaningful, cool lyrics, jazz instrumentation, bouncy bass). But modern Coldplay really goes into a lot of genres so the last 3/4 of this album could be totally different. And as far as Everyday Life goes....well let's just say now I'm worried.

[spoiler=My Everyday Life Track Review]

Yeah inessential Coldplay, like 5/10, might grow on me. The strings throughout are great, but i'm not a fan of the choice of using glossy, 80's keyboards and the dull, syruppy drumpad. Jonny's ambient guitar is again inaudible throughout most of the track (see Oceans, O, Army of One), which is one of my biggest newplay gripes. Guy's bassline is fine but kind of muddy in the mix.

Lyrically, this is one of those tracks on a good day, I can just be like "okay cool Chris" but today I think they are too on the nose and lack any spice or poetry. Chris can sometimes be overly literal and he's doing that here, but of course the sentiment is nice.

In some ways track feels like a mixture of all of Coldplay's era. The songwriting feels similar to X&Y, the guitar is similar to Paracthutes/AROBTTH, production is Ghost Stories/MX. But the song has no momentum. It doesn't really go anywhere or do anything as interesting as the opening strings. And even then, we have cooler string arrangements out of Colplay (Hypnotised, ALIENS, everything Viva, Birds). In summary it's a Chris Martin piano ballad (Up In Flames, O) and the band ends up just filling in the empty sound without adding much imagination to the track. Idk, it's cool to have a soft closer to an album i guess but if this is how they conclude this era, I'm worried I've been fooled into the first two singles being my fave tracks and then not liking a lot of the rest of the album ....

• Like 2

My ranking at this moment would be:

1. VLVODAAHF

2. AROBTTH

3. MX

4. EL

5. X&Y

6. GS

7. PARACHUTES

8. AHFOD

1 or 2 more "Arabesques" and I think the album will climb to a shared 2nd favorite. To really compete with VLVODAAHF it needs some very big bangers.

• Like 1

Oh, @cp3176 is back with his monster posts :D

For a few years now his voice has been "old" and it's understandable it will only continue to decline.

That is one of my main worries about the future of Coldplay, actually. His voice already started declining after the Viva Tour imho :(

Now, in my opinion here the live version of 'Everyday Life' is even better, the studio version partly has auto-tuned vocals...

Really ? Where ? :O

Not gonna lie, at first with Arabesque and Orphans I was thinking EL could slip into my fave album up with VLV and AROBTTH, assuming the album carries a consistent sound from these tracks (more meaningful, cool lyrics, jazz instrumentation, bouncy bass). But modern Coldplay really goes into a lot of genres so the last 3/4 of this album could be totally different. And as far as Everyday Life goes....well let's just say now I'm worried.

[spoiler=My Everyday Life Track Review]

Yeah inessential Coldplay, like 5/10, might grow on me. The strings throughout are great, but i'm not a fan of the choice of using glossy, 80's keyboards and the dull, syruppy drumpad. Jonny's ambient guitar is again inaudible throughout most of the track (see Oceans, O, Army of One), which is one of my biggest newplay gripes. Guy's bassline is fine but kind of muddy in the mix.

Lyrically, this is one of those tracks on a good day, I can just be like "okay cool Chris" but today I think they are too on the nose and lack any spice or poetry. Chris can sometimes be overly literal and he's doing that here, but of course the sentiment is nice.

In some ways track feels like a mixture of all of Coldplay's era. The songwriting feels similar to X&Y, the guitar is similar to Paracthutes/AROBTTH, production is Ghost Stories/MX. But the song has no momentum. It doesn't really go anywhere or do anything as interesting as the opening strings. And even then, we have cooler string arrangements out of Colplay (Hypnotised, ALIENS, everything Viva, Birds). In summary it's a Chris Martin piano ballad (Up In Flames, O) and the band ends up just filling in the empty sound without adding much imagination to the track. Idk, it's cool to have a soft closer to an album i guess but if this is how they conclude this era, I'm worried I've been fooled into the first two singles being my fave tracks and then not liking a lot of the rest of the album ....

I agree with your review of EL. It is touching in parts but something is missing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's too soon to start thinking where the album will rank in our personal list but I'm curious too

My ranking is:

1. AROBTTH

2. X&Y

3. Ghost Stories

4. VLVODAAHF

5. Parachutes

6. Mylo Xyloto

7. AHFOD

I wonder if EL can top my love for Ghost Stories.