Jump to content
ūüď° HIGHER POWER MUSIC VIDEO OUT JUNE 8 ūüď°

Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Yasuko said:

The Race and another song seem to be leaked.
 

The Race leaked a while ago. It isn't difficult to find a full version, which is apparently the version that was cut from Ghost Stories. I wonder if you're referring to that version. ūü§Ē In fact, I first heard it just the other day.

31 minutes ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

Maybe a dark sounding song like Midnight and Yes?

Yes please! And speaking of Midnight, I'm really hoping Jon Hopkins is working with them again.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LEAK  

Took these (sorry for the bad image quality, these are only printscreens) from the videos from O2 shootings. It seems that the symbols are not only those 5 that we knew until now. My guesses is that i

Posted Images

matt whitecross said coldplay is always looking for its own KID A (revolutionary album in the band Radiohead) sorry to say this is not the way. Not like that guys.

I really love this band very much and I expect much more and less from the AHFOD way

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With them from parachutes and absolutely love this one. Have long wanted a band like Coldplay to pick up sounds from those 80's drum patterns. Feeling some Phil Collins vibes here. Excited for the album!! 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dherlax said:

matt whitecross said coldplay is always looking for its own KID A (revolutionary album in the band Radiohead) sorry to say this is not the way. Not like that guys.

I really love this band very much and I expect much more and less from the AHFOD way

Their KID A was AROBTTH in my opinion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having seen the video, I now suspect there may be more to the BRITS performance than the leaked video and pictures would have us believe… Could a thousand holographic dancing aliens be about to descend on the O2? 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how Stephen and the others are going recording all the interviews they guys have been on today. Hope they're succeeding and they post a giant forum thread with links to each!

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say Orphans and now Higher Power, they are smashing lead singles. The rest of the album will be interesting too i think, the vibe feels right. Feels more inspired than during the AHFOD time for instance. We got oldplay in Everyday Life. Bring it on with some smash records for the live shows.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tom043 said:

Gotta say Orphans and now Higher Power, they are smashing lead singles. The rest of the album will be interesting too i think, the vibe feels right. Feels more inspired than during the AHFOD time for instance. We got oldplay in Everyday Life. Bring it on with some smash records for the live shows.

Orphans feels less, because EL wasnt promoted that much at all and not mainstream. Sadly

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, IcebatofvalikinRRBZ8 said:

Orphans feels less, because EL wasnt promoted that much at all and not mainstream. Sadly

I guess but I kinda like that it wasn’t pumped up. The deeper meaning in those song lyrics (Orphans) about damascus bombings etc still hits me, with a song setup that happy. Now this new one is mostly feel good and that’s nice too. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

That was awesome! I really loved it! I mean it is the kind of song that make you start the day with a smile. Now that I've listened it like 100 times I can't take it out of my head. I liked the beat and to me is a song easy to listen and enjoy, got me singing every second haha.

There was just a moment on the song during the first and second play where I was ready for a big explosion but it never came, I don't know, that was my perception. But the song is really growing on each repeat. Happy I'm alive at the same time as Coldplay¬†ūüėĀ

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

You see, my problem with Coldplay the last few years (EL excluded) is just how bland and middle of the road they’ve become. I’m not against them releasing a pop record per se, but do it in a way that upholds your artistic and creative integrity. 
 

What do I mean by this? Well, lots of people are hearing a slight 80’s vibe to the new single... well if you want to go 80’s then go FULL 80’s synth wave (aha style) Not tik tok rubbish. It’s not befitting of a band of their calibre. For some reason, whether it’s down to the band themselves or whoever is producing the music, great ideas get diluted along the way and become a hard candy mess along the way.

As I said before, I’m not even that annoyed. I predicted this after EL came out and nothing surprises me with them anymore, I just hope they go more EL style for the next LP.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't think Higher Power is surprising. In fact I'm pretty sure back in 2018/2019 I was predicting they'd go or an 80's sound at some point based on Chris' obsession with Back to the Future and the way Life Is Beautiful sounded (rip). Not to toot my own horn though -- it's fairly predictable that Coldplay will follow trends (MX had an Arcade Fire vibe, GS felt very XX/mellow indie, ASFOS, SJLT). 

That said -- I do think we could still get some surprises on LP9 and I'm trying to stay optimistic. At this point in their career, we know they'll stick in some pop, saccharine songs like HP. Even Everyday Life, their serious, conceptual "opus," had Orphans and Cry Cry Cry. So maybe we get another few big pop singles a la Paradise or Princess of China, but i can live with that so long as the production is as good as Higher Power and so long as the album ALSO fulfills my itch for some weird Koatica stuff. I'm wanting Alien-sung songs, Jon Hopkins produced spacey meditations, heavy 80's guitar power chords, more choirs. 

I guess in summary I share some gripes with others about HP, especially the lack of Jonny which feels like a massive wasted opportunity for the sake of keeping the mix as clean and tik-tokable as possible. But GS still had the True Love solo, AHFOD still had Up&Up solos and an EP with some bigger solos. And I think HP has a truly unique and interesting intro and outro (the alien ahhhhhhh) AND let's not forget we'll likely get some remixes of this song if it blows up, and those remixes could deliver some alt takes. And as is, HP could fit nicely on the album sandwiched between much more instrumentally interesting tracks. Fingers crossed.

 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also love EL very much, but let's not judge the whole LP9 just by the first song they released. Coldplay have always surprised us. Perhaps the new album contains not only 'pop' songs but also some more experimental songs. If they want to tour again - and I hope they will - they need some new 'poppy' songs and 'Higher Power' is a fresh happy song. I am looking forward to listening to the rest of the album!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the hate this song gets.

Also I don't understand the praise EL gets. For me, apart from a few exceptions, that is a boring album. I can hear what they wanted with that album and I would love to love that album if you know what I mean.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lennyrott1 said:

Yeah I don't think Higher Power is surprising. In fact I'm pretty sure back in 2018/2019 I was predicting they'd go or an 80's sound at some point based on Chris' obsession with Back to the Future and the way Life Is Beautiful sounded (rip). Not to toot my own horn though -- it's fairly predictable that Coldplay will follow trends (MX had an Arcade Fire vibe, GS felt very XX/mellow indie, ASFOS, SJLT). 

That said -- I do think we could still get some surprises on LP9 and I'm trying to stay optimistic. At this point in their career, we know they'll stick in some pop, saccharine songs like HP. Even Everyday Life, their serious, conceptual "opus," had Orphans and Cry Cry Cry. So maybe we get another few big pop singles a la Paradise or Princess of China, but i can live with that so long as the production is as good as Higher Power and so long as the album ALSO fulfills my itch for some weird Koatica stuff. I'm wanting Alien-sung songs, Jon Hopkins produced spacey meditations, heavy 80's guitar power chords, more choirs. 

I guess in summary I share some gripes with others about HP, especially the lack of Jonny which feels like a massive wasted opportunity for the sake of keeping the mix as clean and tik-tokable as possible. But GS still had the True Love solo, AHFOD still had Up&Up solos and an EP with some bigger solos. And I think HP has a truly unique and interesting intro and outro (the alien ahhhhhhh) AND let's not forget we'll likely get some remixes of this song if it blows up, and those remixes could deliver some alt takes. And as is, HP could fit nicely on the album sandwiched between much more instrumentally interesting tracks. Fingers crossed.

 

Yeah, my hopes are also on not all songs of LP9 being poppy. And I hope the Asian influence on the backig vocal melodies in Higher Power is pursued in more depth. We know that Chris at least worked with Jacob Collier recently too, so he might be on LP9 as well.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, merril said:

I also love EL very much, but let's not judge the whole LP9 just by the first song they released. Coldplay have always surprised us. Perhaps the new album contains not only 'pop' songs but also some more experimental songs. If they want to tour again - and I hope they will - they need some new 'poppy' songs and 'Higher Power' is a fresh happy song. I am looking forward to listening to the rest of the album!

My thoughts exactly! This is only the first single, who knows what the rest of the album will sound like. And even if it was all upbeat pop songs, I wouldn't mind. I'm pretty sure though that they'll give us a well balanced mix of tunes. In the new Zane Lowe interview Chris talked about A Sky Full of Stars existing in the same album as O (Fly On), so we could be getting more than one flavour. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to shamelessly repost what I said in the Higher Power thread since this seems to be the higher traffic thread. But I will add this one thing - have y'all noticed the "Mediterranean Shipping Co" on the containers in the background? I feel like this must not be an accident, and potentially supports my theory that this album will be about refugees, given the connection with the Mediterranean Sea.

5 hours ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

Yay new music. I have mixed feelings but to be honest I've had a mixed experience with hearing the lead singles of albums. I felt mixed about ETIAW but quite liked Magic (though felt Magic's climax was underwhelming). I actually really liked Orphans right away though there's too many kids in the chorus. 

Higher Power is an interesting song. Yes, A-ha comparisons but 2 songs that it really reminded me were the Boys of Summer, where in the verses Don kind of trails off / goes down because there's just so many words. Similar with Hurts Like Heaven but it's even more pronounced in Higher Power. And then Jump by Van Halen (which Chris actually covers briefly during the interlude of Clocks right after Van Halen passed away) - the synths have a similar flavour!

My biggest problem with HP though is that the climax isn't that big. It has the understatedness of Magic for no good reason. No giant Jonny solo, no giant singalong, nothing. The end just kinda fades away. But I wanted something HUGE like VLV/Fix You. And despite the high expectations running around, this song is simply not as good as HLH (in a similar class of synth pop but with amazing guitar solos) or Birds (similar 80s drums and cool bassline, shiny guitars). Which is why I'm declaring Orphans > HP, because Orphans has great guitar lines AND it really goes somewhere as a song. 

But some great positives - such a great CHONKY bassline by Guy, and some of Will's best vocals - very reminiscent of Miracles (Something Special), Birds, and Champion of the World. I really like the synths in the chorus and they come in with such power. 

And if nothing else, I think 40% of you will like the song a LOT more once you hear the live version because Jonny's guitar will be way louder. ūüôā

PS why do people hate AOAL? It's got such a great guitar riff throughout the whole damn song and a nice guitar solo at the end, some great Will vocals, a funky bassline. Sure it's got a bit too much vocal sample but whatever. 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I'm going to shamelessly repost what I said in the Higher Power thread since this seems to be the higher traffic thread. But I will add this one thing - have y'all noticed the "Mediterranean Shipping Co" on the containers in the background? I feel like this must not be an accident, and potentially supports my theory that this album will be about refugees, given the connection with the Mediterranean Sea.

 

Good spot! Definitely a familiar theme for Coldplay to explore so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. In the many interviews we've seen today, and in the launch video with Thomas Pesquet ( :dazzled: ) , Chris says that they're using other planets as an allegory for what's happening on Earth. So yeah it all makes sense.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MosesTheMarshmallow said:

I'm going to shamelessly repost what I said in the Higher Power thread since this seems to be the higher traffic thread. But I will add this one thing - have y'all noticed the "Mediterranean Shipping Co" on the containers in the background? I feel like this must not be an accident, and potentially supports my theory that this album will be about refugees, given the connection with the Mediterranean Sea.

 

yeah i noticed that too!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna lie, hearing in a couple of interviews (e.g. Zane Lowe) today that Chris had to audition the songs for Max Martin before the producer decided if he would work on them gave me traumatic pre-AHFOD album release flashbacks. Because in interviews back then Chris said the exact same thing about Stargate.

I know Max Martin is leagues above Stargate, but still i feel this spells no good for the album. I feel like all recent albums where big name producers had a power over the band's input weren't as good as the ones where the producers were less high-profile people who grew up alongside the band and have worked with them for a long time like Rik Simpson, Dan Green and the Dream Team.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Yeah I don't think Higher Power is surprising. In fact I'm pretty sure back in 2018/2019 I was predicting they'd go or an 80's sound at some point based on Chris' obsession with Back to the Future and the way Life Is Beautiful sounded (rip). Not to toot my own horn though -- it's fairly predictable that Coldplay will follow trends (MX had an Arcade Fire vibe, GS felt very XX/mellow indie, ASFOS, SJLT). 

That said -- I do think we could still get some surprises on LP9 and I'm trying to stay optimistic. At this point in their career, we know they'll stick in some pop, saccharine songs like HP. Even Everyday Life, their serious, conceptual "opus," had Orphans and Cry Cry Cry. So maybe we get another few big pop singles a la Paradise or Princess of China, but i can live with that so long as the production is as good as Higher Power and so long as the album ALSO fulfills my itch for some weird Koatica stuff. I'm wanting Alien-sung songs, Jon Hopkins produced spacey meditations, heavy 80's guitar power chords, more choirs. 

I guess in summary I share some gripes with others about HP, especially the lack of Jonny which feels like a massive wasted opportunity for the sake of keeping the mix as clean and tik-tokable as possible. But GS still had the True Love solo, AHFOD still had Up&Up solos and an EP with some bigger solos. And I think HP has a truly unique and interesting intro and outro (the alien ahhhhhhh) AND let's not forget we'll likely get some remixes of this song if it blows up, and those remixes could deliver some alt takes. And as is, HP could fit nicely on the album sandwiched between much more instrumentally interesting tracks. Fingers crossed.

 

Max Martin produced and help write "Higher Power" In my opinion the 80's/90's sound wasn't all Coldplay's idea. In fact Max Martin helped write and produce The Weeknd "Blinding Lights" which also has that same sound  

If you play these two songs back to back you'll find that they are eerily similar in every way. When you go to Max Martin to get your song produced you're guaranteeing yourself a smash hit. Blinding Lights broke the record for most weeks at #1 and was the Hot 100 song of the year. 
 

As for the rest of the forthcoming Coldplay album, your guess is as good as mine as to the sound they have. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ntheruff said:

Max Martin produced and help write "Higher Power" In my opinion the 80's/90's sound wasn't all Coldplay's idea. In fact Max Martin helped write and produce The Weeknd "Blinding Lights" which also has that same sound  

Could be some truth in there because in that one interview with Will and Guy, Guy was asked if they tried to record an 80s sounding song and he said that it was not at all planned, but while working on it they realized the song was asking to sound like this....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris, regarding if there'll be a new album: "...there won't not be one."

LOL, I've never been so excited about such an odd sentence. Love it, so very Chris Martin :-)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, I ran away said:

Not gonna lie, hearing in a couple of interviews (e.g. Zane Lowe) today that Chris had to audition the songs for Max Martin before the producer decided if he would work on them gave me traumatic pre-AHFOD album release flashbacks. Because in interviews back then Chris said the exact same thing about Stargate.

I know Max Martin is leagues above Stargate, but still i feel this spells no good for the album. I feel like all recent albums where big name producers had a power over the band's input weren't as good as the ones where the producers were less high-profile people who grew up alongside the band and have worked with them for a long time like Rik Simpson, Dan Green and the Dream Team.

I do think there's a big difference in the fact that, according to interviews, Chris and Max have actually been friends and trying to work together for several years. So i don't think it's necessarily the same dynamic as with Stargate.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Captain Crieff changed the title to Coldplay LP9 Rumours | Music of the Spheres | Vol. 1 released 15 October 2021

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...