Welcome to Coldplaying!

By signing up you will receive access to the largest Coldplay fan site and hundreds of Coldplay downloads!

Story Behind The 'Terrifying' AROBTTH Album Art

Discussion in 'Coldplay' started by RunForTheHills, Apr 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. RunForTheHills

By:RunForTheHillsApr 3, 2008
    AKA Zemy101
    Coldplayer

I posted this story in the Random Coldplay Thoughts thread, but since its a new article I think it deserves its own thread.

Sølve Sundsbø's best shot [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    'Chris Martin came across the image and said he wanted it for a Coldplay LP cover'
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Thursday February 14, 2008

[/FONT]I did this for the fashion magazine Dazed and Confused in the late 1990s. They wanted something with a technological feel, something all white. As a photographer, you try to do stuff that hasn't been done before, which is virtually impossible, so I suggested taking a shot with a three-dimensional scanning machine.

These devices use technology that was developed for American air force pilots, to get their helmets to fit their heads better. You sit still while a computer goes all around you, hanging from an arm. Afterwards, you can look at the scan from any angle.

The model, named Mim, had to wear all-white makeup, because you get the best results that way, but in this image she was also wearing a cape with a coloured twill. The computer couldn't read the colours, so it replaced them with spikes. I decided to keep them. The machine only scanned in 30cm segments too, so it chopped her head in half.

[​IMG]
    Chris Martin chose this 'iconic' image for the album A Rush Of Blood To The Head

When I first saw the result, I was terrified. I thought it was so beautiful, but I was sure the magazine was never going to run it. The fashion editor absolutely adored the pictures, however. They were the lead story that month.

Then Chris Martin saw the magazine. He approached me and said he wanted the image for the cover of Coldplay's latest LP, A Rush of Blood to the Head. He wanted something really iconic, he said, and asked what we could do for the singles. I suggested scanning the four members of the band for the four different releases. I suspect they were hugely disappointed when they met me - I think they expected some kind of German scientist. The album was hugely successful, which was nice. I can think of a lot worse images to be associated with. It is unique.

· Interview by Leo Benedictus.
    · Sølve Sundsbø's work is at Spring House, London, until March 20. Details: 020-7428 7166. springprojects.com

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/photo...256244,00.html

----------------------------------

Here are the images of the four band members (referenced in the article) used as the singles covers:

[​IMG]
    Clocks Single Art

'The single cover, created by Sølve Sundsbø, depicts lead singer Chris Martin with his hands folded on a glass table. The drawing perspective is looking from below the table.'

[​IMG]
    The Scientist Single Art

The single cover features drummer Will Champion, art-directed by Sølve Sundsbø.

[​IMG]
    GPASUYF Single Art

The single cover features bassist Guy Berryman, art-directed by Sølve Sundsbø.

[​IMG]
    In My Place Single Art

The single cover features guitarist Jon Buckland, art directed by Sølve Sundsbø.

2. ApproximatelyInfinite

By:ApproximatelyInfiniteApr 3, 2008
    a thousand houses long
    Coldplayer

the scientist one is will? i always thought it was jonny! and i always thought IMP was will...hmm.

but GPASUYF is obviously guy, i think.

gahh, all this talk of album art makes me SO excited to see what they have for VLVOD. i'm picturing something really colorful and busy, a real departure from their other three.

3. RunForTheHills

By:RunForTheHillsApr 3, 2008
    AKA Zemy101
    Coldplayer

Yeah, I can't wait to see what they come up with.
    It's interesting recognising parts of the guy's faces in the pictures. And yeah, thats definitely Guy on the GPASUYF cover.

4. Grace

By:GraceApr 3, 2008

so this is the story behind that cover... nice find!

but seriously, i never recognise chris in that cover! :dozey:

5. Mimixxx

By:MimixxxApr 3, 2008
    If we could float away...
    Coldplayer

I can see them all, but I think I'm just weird.

I excited for the new artwork too. :)

6. sundsbo

By:sundsboApr 3, 2008
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

i hope sølve sundsbø will make another cover for coldplay some day! :D :wink3:

7. moshepop

By:moshepopApr 4, 2008
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

8. kmm1482

By:kmm1482Apr 4, 2008

we saw a smaaaaall snippet of it on that unreleased new album web site. Its like a colorful rorshach (sp?) test. Looked a little like Gnarls Barkleys video for 'Crazy'

9. Bonus_mosher

By:Bonus_mosherApr 4, 2008
    THE BUCKLANNND
    Coldplayer

ohh yeahhh, I totally know what you mean!
    hah, I never thought of it that way

I thought it just looked like chris ordered Moses to do something cretive with paint.

I say "ordered" - I'm sure moses' home life is nothing like the third reich :lol:

10. sundsbo

By:sundsboApr 4, 2008
    New Coldplayer
    Coldplayer

my brother knows how to do his job!

not ass the brother of sølve but as a coldplay fan i think the picture on "a rush of blood to the" is one of the greatest pictures ever! :p

11. kmm1482

By:kmm1482Apr 4, 2008

That WOULD be really clever (and cute)! I'm sure the other guys might be a little miffed. But it would be a neat way of doing the new cover :)

12. Open-Politik

By:Open-PolitikApr 4, 2008
    Babe Im Gonna Leave You
    Coldplayer

Maybe all the Coldplay babies made the cover not just Moses. That would be fun. They all have babies aswell so everyone gets along.

13. ApproximatelyInfinite

By:ApproximatelyInfiniteApr 4, 2008
    a thousand houses long
    Coldplayer

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

i just about died when i read that. ohhhh my god.

that would be awesome (and adorable) if that was true :nice:

14. busybeeburns

By:busybeeburnsApr 7, 2008
    mr coldplaying himself
    Founder Coldplayer

I wonder if they'll do another album-single series with the same artwork :thinking: