[The Telegraph intv.] Coldplay: 'Rock music has nowhere left to go’

Cobalt

OH SUCH THE SHAME!
Coldplayer
Coldplay: 'Rock music has nowhere left to go’

COLDPLAY ON STAGE EARLIER THIS MONTH CREDIT: GETTY
  • Neil McCormick, music critic
As Coldplay release their new album, Chris Martin and the band tell Neil McCormick why rock has had its day

'W e felt like rock music has been done,” says Chris Martin, apparently dropping the lid on 60 years of swaggering guitar bands. Contemplating the zesty pop tones of Coldplay’s new album, A Head Full of Dreams, Martin suggests “the future of music is in new sounds and new ways of treating vocals. We wanted to add those colours to our palette.” His bandmate Guy Berryman agrees: “There’s an awful lot of rock music already out there. I’m not sure there is anything left to add.”
my face when i read this

Mobile Link: https://www.facebook.com/H3h3productions/videos/935459126534851/

???????????

add whatever you want to it? how about adding those new sounds and new ways of treating vocals to rock? like seriously this implies the genre is just shallow?????

WHAT

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Whatever insinuation you are making at me you make on yourself.

Look in the mirror.

Ah, nice ! Yeah, continue believing those conspiracy theories. I will not discuss them with you.
You know, in my work I sometimes had to talk to people who believed that cancer was an invented disease ad vaccinations were harmful and a conspiracy of the pharmaceutical industry. You can tell them the facts and cite all the scientific evidence in the world, they will not believe you. That's how I realized it does not make sense to talk to them and try to convince them otherwise.
If someone strongly believes something that is irrational, no rational reasoning can make this person see sense, so by all means continue believing that Mylo Xyloto is connected to "OTO".
I am sorry, but in the end, as a scientist I always go with evidence and plausibility, not unproven assumptions and hypotheses.

And by the way your post was rude.

likeafire

Scientist
Coldplayer
Yep it's official. Coldplay is officially dead.

I really hope they call it a day now after this embarrassing statement. Otherwise we can expect collaborations with Justin beiber and Nicki Minaj.

Kinda glad the new album didn't go to number one now, serves them right.

gai

Kinda glad the new album didn't go to number one now, serves them right.
You know this is quite the ignorant statement considering how they seen not to care about chart positions, etc. It's all in the fans' heads. Coldplay seem just happy to do their thing and be content making music in their own little group.

likeafire

Scientist
Coldplayer
You know this is quite the ignorant statement considering how they seen not to care about chart positions, etc. It's all in the fans' heads. Coldplay seem just happy to do their thing and be content making music in their own little group.
Of course they care about chart positions. They just pretend not to after getting stuffed by Adele and rightfully so.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
You know this is quite the ignorant statement
The statement by @likeafire was not ignorant because it expressed his opinion, nothing more. If he feels good about Coldplay not getting to No.1, what's wrong with it ? Shows how disappointed some of us are with the current Coldplay - I can understand it.

LeftrightleftArchi

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
You know, sometimes I wonder if Coldplay take a peek at the forums just out of curiosity and read our disappointment.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
You know, sometimes I wonder if Coldplay take a peek at the forums just out of curiosity and read our disappointment.
If they do, I hope they read the joy their work brings to some of us as well :)

gai

The statement by @likeafire was not ignorant because it expressed his opinion, nothing more. If he feels good about Coldplay not getting to No.1, what's wrong with it ? Shows how disappointed some of us are with the current Coldplay - I can understand it.
Serves them right does imply that the band cares about getting number one and are somewhere crying over not getting it. While if that was in fact the case, they wouldn't have released the album on the heals of an adele release. I think most of us, including me, expected coldplay not to reach number one even before the release because of that.

gai

Of course they care about chart positions. They just pretend not to after getting stuffed by Adele and rightfully so.
I really think coldplay were that competitive up until MX for sure. But really don't think that's the case since at least AHFOD. Think their behaviour this era backs that up.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
Serves them right does imply that the band cares about getting number one and are somewhere crying over not getting it.
Honestly I dont believe they ever hoped for a number one considering Adele released in November. Everyone knew she´d break records and sell like crazy (except herself I guess LOL).
Personally I dont think number one is so important, a slow burner has longer legs...

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I believe that NO artist is really indifferent to the chart positions his music reaches, but of course Coldplay have had so many successes that getting No.1 was probably not their primary goal with AHFOD...

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I believe that NO artist is really indifferent to the chart positions his music reaches, but of course Coldplay have had so many successes that getting No.1 was probably not their primary goal with AHFOD...
You don't write a song like HFTW and not care about chart positions. Are people listening to the same album as I am? If you think AHFOD isn't completely engineered to be a chart topper you are clearly delusional.

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
You don't write a song like HFTW and not care about chart positions. Are people listening to the same album as I am? If you think AHFOD isn't completely engineered to be a chart topper you are clearly delusional.
Yeah, of course most of the songs were constructed as such but if it had been the one and only goal they should not have released it that close to Adele. But as I said, I do belive it is wrong to say Coldplay doesn't care about chart positions. Of course that's what they say, but in their hearts every musician cares.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
Most songs on AHFOD were written with live shows in mind. The band has said so many times. So they certainly prioritised songs that could work well during the live shows as they intended to embark on a major world tour.

But written to be chart toppers? LOL I agree with Iranaway that any musician cares about how the music is received and how well it does, but to say that Coldplay wrote Hymn solely with that criteria in mind is well...completely unfounded. Had they thought about that, they would have waited quite a few months before releasing, thus avoiding the inevitable Adele tsunami...

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
hmm.. interesting how some may think that about you? hahaa!
I would not go as far as to use that term haha, but yes I also dont quite understand how anyone can think that about Coldplay...oh well :)