12 Coldplay Months of 2013: December (Merry Coldplay Christmas!)

Nattatouille

Coldplay Choir
Coldplayer
December turned out to be a ridiculously busy month for the band with live performances, award nominations and both The Oracle and Anchorman getting back on their soapboxes. It felt like every day more news awaited us...

The Oracle Answers A Lot of Questions: December Edition
I // II // III

Potential Goldware for Coldplay in January:

Nominations for the 56th Grammy Awards were announced and all our jaws hit the floor when Coldplay were nominated for not one, but two GRAMMYs!
Atlas was nominated for 'Best Song Written For Visual Media' whilst Live 2013 was nominated for 'Best Music Film'. The guys see themselves going up against the likes of Mumford & Sons (Best Music Film) and Adele (Visual Media) (you can see the full list here).

We'll have to wait until 26th January to find out whether they've been successful-- keep your fingers and toes crossed!

Atlas Continues Global Domination:

If the GRAMMYs news wasn't exciting enough-- Atlas proved itself to be (potentially) even more golden by receiving a nomination in the Golden Globe Awards. The track has been nominated for 'Best Original Song from a Motion Picture'.

It'll be doing battle against 'Let it Go' (Frozen), 'Ordinary Love' (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom'), 'Please Mr. Kennedy' (Inside Llewyn Davis), 'Sweet Than Fiction' (One Chance). You can listen to them all here.

The results will be revealed on 12th January.

Xylobands get retired (maybe):

A lot of speculation had been rattling around as to whether Xylobands would follow Coldplay after the MX-era has finished (especially if the financial reports were indeed true-- more on that later). Xyloband creator, Jason Regler, sparked more speculation after he tweeted:

'Looking like the Xyloband and Coldplay Journey is over!!! time to move on'
On first read it sounds like the Xylobands were being taken out of circulation, but Regler quickly confused matters further by amending his original tweet:

'My bad mistake rush Blood XYLOBANDS are Coldplay and so wont be going anywhere a mistake emotions can run too high'

Both of the tweets were then swiftly deleted (not fast enough to put off the eagle eyed Coldplayers though) along with Regler's Twitter account. So we're no closer to figuring out whether we'll see the Xylobands in future-- but it does seem like their creator will no longer be involved.

Financial Doubts Over Xylobands (so yet more speculation):

Earlier in the year there had been speculation (several times over) about how much the Xylobands cost Coldplay. However in December, The Mirror published figures from Companies House which indicated that Coldplay spent a whopping £4.22MILLION on the Xylobands over the duration of the tour!

I'm sure all of us can agree that the Xylobands were definitely worth it (especially as it only worked out at £3 each)-- but it further fuelled speculation about longevity of the Xylobands.

However despite all these costs-- it was Coldplay's highest grossing tour, bringing in £35MILLION (a profit of £14MILLION).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYjRx9fJgY"]Coldplay Walk On Stage XyloBands - YouTube[/ame]

Ding Dong Merrily On High

Completely out of the blue, Coldplay played a super secret-- and extremely tiny-- gig at Ring O'Bells pub in Somerset. The show appeared to be a warm-up for the Under1Roof gig (which happened later in the week) but it also came to surface that it wasn't only Coldplay that performed-- they were joined by Chas N' Dave, Connor Maynard, Becky Hill, Royal Blood and Lewis Watson.

It soon came to light that this merry showcase was organised by Parlophone chair Miles Leonard-- who part owns the Ring O'Bells-- as a showcase to 100 very lucky VIP's.

The setlist:
Yellow
Clocks
The Scientist
GPASUYF
Viva La Vida
Charlie Brown
Paradise
ETIAW
Christmas Lights​

A Return to Radio 1

Fearne Cotton hosted her annual Radio 1 Christmas houseparty. The event yearly sees a whole host of DJ's, musicians and competition winners come together and celebrate Christmas with a live show full of antics and exclusive live performances. Throughout the week Cotton had been advertising a 'super secret guest performance' which had speculation running rife-- though a lot of us suspected that the boys would surface...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg3mXQWJdLI"]Coldplay - White Christmas in the Christmas Live Lounge - YouTube[/ame]

Of course they did! Chris and Jonny appeared to play both 'White Christmas' (video above) and 'Christmas Lights' live on the radio. They also stuck around long enough to be part of Radio 1's Christmas Spoof 'Mulled Wines' video (which also features Rizzle Kicks, Jake Bugg, Keith Lemon and Bastille):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2LhnfEoecA"]MULLED WINES OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube[/ame]

And then later that day...

As if I need to even talk about what happened later that evening.

:loveshower: COLDPLAY CAME BACK :loveshower:

If you want a full, blow-by-blow account of the evening, then where better to head than the forum (51 pages of build up and post analysis and counting). Here's some of the highlights:

The Setlist:
Clocks
Charlie Brown
Fix You
Atlas
Viva La Vida
Paradise
The Scientist
ETIAW
White Christmas (+choir)
Christmas Lights​

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsY83nQkk54"]Coldplay - Atlas (Live debut) - Eventim Hammersmith Apollo - Live in London - December 19 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvqIIZ-Gorw"]Coldplay Live - Charlie Brown at Under1Roof 2013 - Hammersmith Apollo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7awMiVNTgc"]Coldplay - Fix You (HD) - Eventim Hammersmith Apollo - 19.12.13 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7awMiVNTgc"]Coldplay - Fix You (HD) - Eventim Hammersmith Apollo - 19.12.13 - YouTube[/ame]

They didn't disappoint me at all. In fact I realized how much I miss them!! The whole band was on fire and seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as we were

Apart from David Brent who isn't my cup of tea, I had fun with the other performers. Kid's company videos were very touching also. It's such a beautiful work and the night was just perfect to celebrate it

I just hope that it doesn't take me that long to feel like this again. I just can't get enough
-- Thanks Cris_Santos

Was around 3 rows from the front, in front of Jonny. Beautiful concert! So many people around me were in tears during The Scientist Great atmosphere. -- Thanks CiaranF

I'm sort of trying to pull myself together again after last night. They aced it. 10/10. Every single second was amazing and made me realize how much I'd missed them! -- Thanks PrincessofChina

As for Coldplay what can I say. WOW is the word I am looking for. With so many songs there were obviously a few which went going to be played. It was nice to be there for the Live Debut of Atlas and Viva La Vida was a right crowd pleaser. It was actually a surprise for me that Yellow wasn't sung.

Still it as one incredible set and the snow during White Christmas was amazing. Also it was nice to end the year with Christmas Lights.
-- Thanks samc83

Well I thought it was the perfect gig and put me right in the xmas mood - everything was spot on. They ran it perfectly - no big gaps between things - great line up, great vibe...perfect.

Coldplay absolutely delivered - everyone was jumping and they just look like they are enjoying it as much as everyone else which is lovely to see.
--Thanks dynamiccoins

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM COLDPLAY

So, that's 2013 wrapped up. Now you're all caught up, you can start looking towards 2014... Hopefully we'll see LP6 and a new tour-- or maybe we won't. Stay tuned!

Happy New Year!

suzanafg

Stand tall, bipedal ape
Coldplayer
Thanks for the review, Nattatouille! Such a busy month, indeed. Hope there is more of this in 2014!

Coeurli

#TeamLittleGirlies #GlutenTag
Thanks for the great review!

What a month, and the days leading up to U1R were quite full of surprises! I remember thinking on the day of U1R: "WOWOWOWOW GUYS SLOW DOWN! I'm not used to it anymore, i'm a bit rusty, this is too much to handle" :lol: