[23-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX, USA

LauraDallas

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Was there last night with my tween daughter, her first concert. What a thrill for her, but after this I'm not sure anyone else will ever measure up!

I saw them here 4 yrs. ago for Viva la Vida tour, and as good as that was, last night was spectacular! I was in awe, some real breathtaking moments. Highlights for me : very beginning - MX and the first time the wristbands lit up the arena, In My Place and the confetti, The Scientist sing-along, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. They sounded superb.

One thing I wanted to add was that our seats were near stage left, where they exited. Was so cool that as they were leaving they stopped, turning all around and waving, seeming to truly take in all the love and appreciation, not taking it for granted. Loved that! :)

Technicolour TX

Adventures of a Lifetime
Coldplayer
Wow thanks for all the great pics and video Technicolour TX. I have a question, did you prefer the up close seats, or the seats all the way in the back? Just curious :p
Glad you enjoyed them. :)

Actually, I loved being in the back seats. The ones up front were really great, and it seemed the boys were only a stone's throw away, but the sound was very muddy and since the seats were edge-on, the light show wasn't as bright or powerful. Again, it was only because of my angle.

On the second night when I was in the veeeery back (as far back and up as you can get), the light show was something out of a science fiction film. UNBELIEVABLE !! And there was a 3D effect to the entire place when the lights went out and the Xylo Bands started to glow, since I was so high up and toward the back looking down, and since the round mini-screens were at the top of the arena broadcasting the video, it seemed like a 3D color and light extravaganza, almost as if the screens were "floating", and the Xylo Bands seemed that way as well. And the sound was much, much, much, much better.

I used to only sit in the back at concerts because it was all I could afford. Believe me, if you can't afford the primo seats up front for a Coldplay show, sitting in the back will appeal to all of your senses. There's not a bad seat in the house in my opinion to see these guys live, so if you're stuck in the back, so to speak, don't worry, your head will explode with what you'll see and hear from the band.

golfing7861

High fivin' Chris
Coldplayer

Actually, I loved being in the back seats. The ones up front were really great, and it seemed the boys were only a stone's throw away, but the sound was very muddy and since the seats were edge-on, the light show wasn't as bright or powerful. Again, it was only because of my angle.

On the second night when I was in the veeeery back (as far back and up as you can get), the light show was something out of a science fiction film. UNBELIEVABLE !! And there was a 3D effect to the entire place when the lights went out and the Xylo Bands started to glow, since I was so high up and toward the back looking down, and since the round mini-screens were at the top of the arena broadcasting the video, it seemed like a 3D color and light extravaganza, almost as if the screens were "floating", and the Xylo Bands seemed that way as well. And the sound was much, much, much, much better.

I used to only sit in the back at concerts because it was all I could afford. Believe me, if you can't afford the primo seats up front for a Coldplay show, sitting in the back will appeal to all of your senses. There's not a bad seat in the house in my opinion to see these guys live, so if you're stuck in the back, so to speak, don't worry, your head will explode with what you'll see and hear from the band.
All your reviews are absolutely awesome, they really help paint a picture in my head so thanks :)

ColdplayFan1239

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Wow! I just read this whole thread am in awe to hear how great the Dallas cocnert's went! Im so happy to hear all of you had a great time!! :D

I get to see them in Miami on Friday and I am going crazy waiting for that day to come! I even made a glow in the dark shirt for the concert! What do you think of it? :smug:

TraceOddity

My 'MY HILL' thread.;p
Coldplayer
Wow! I just read this whole thread am in awe to hear how great the Dallas cocnert's went! Im so happy to hear all of you had a great time!! :D

I get to see them in Miami on Friday and I am going crazy waiting for that day to come! I even made a glow in the dark shirt for the concert! What do you think of it? :smug:

That's brilliant!:awesome:

B.The_Scientist

A sky full of stars.
Coldplayer

Haha awesome, the reason I asked was because I have side stage seats for the concert I'm going to, and I guess I just wanted to paint a mental picture of what to expect :)

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
This was my first ever concert, so it was especially awesome. Unforgettable!

Alright so I arrived at the AAC at around 5:10 and we waited outside in the hot Texas sun for the doors to open at around 5:30. Once we went inside we got our wristbands and bags checked (I wish I brought my mom's DSLR because apparently they were allowed––saw tons of people with them. My iPhone couldn't do justice even though I was close to the stage!). I bought a t-shirt and signed up for Oxfam and then I went to my seat. I waited for a couple of hours but the music was really relaxing and MX-ish in the arena. (Does anybody know if Coldplay wrote the intermission music?) At 7:00 Wolf Gang started and I really liked them and then they finished at 7:30 sharp. After another 10-15 min intermission Robyn opened and she was, um, well, unique I guess.:shocked2: Did anyone else feel awkward tension, especially during the first song when she just stood at the microphone? Robyn covered ETIAW which I thought was pretty good. To appease us she mentioned before it was "approved by Coldplay." Then she played more melodic songs compared to the first few which the crowd really got into, though there was a lot of people mockingly dancing. She finished at around 8:35 and I think Coldplay chose her because of her spaceship theme. Then after another 10 min intermission and some songs like "99 Problems" the Back to the Future theme came on and the crowd went wild. We all stood up and clapped until Coldplay got on the stage and then the crowd just lost it, seriously, there were so many people crying around me. They played MX, the Xylobands lit up and it was just magic. HLH rushed through the arena and everyone was already having an AMAZING time. A lot of sing-along and just fun improv from Chris. Johnny rocked it on guitar. Then In My Place came on and the crowd went nuts (again) the confetti and lights were great along with great sing-along. Then Major Minus came on (One of the lower crowd involvement songs, I think). Lovers In Japan came on and the energy just continued to escalate. The balloons with paint fell down and popped out into the crowd and it was just a lovely song altogether. Then The Scientist came on( I think), and it was an AMAZING sing-along song. There was a beautiful segway into Yellow and the nice intro to Yellow was absolutely beautiful. The sing-along was amazing and beautiful as well. One of the greatest parts of the night. Violet Hill was ROCKIN'. Then GPASUYF 2.0 was even more rockin' and the crowd went absolutely wild!! There was a lot of improv like "yell if you're havin' a good time" or "lone star state" and other lovely Dallas references. Then they moved to the X-stage after a little intermission then PoC came on and everyone went crazy. Definitely and crowd favorite. The live version is great, especially Johnny on the guitar. Did anyone else think Rihanna sounded a little chipmunky? Up in Flames was lovely. AHT/DLIBYH was an absolute surprise to me and I thought it sounded amazing. There were inflatables of the song's symbols that lit up to the music and at the end pulsed to the heartbeat which I thought was amazing. And of course there was VLV which was one of the greatest performances and sing-along of the night. Chris said to make it "Dallas f****** Big" so we did!! Then to follow up VLV was the climax of the night which was Charlie Brown. Definitely the loudest part of the night and AMAAAAAZZZZZIIIIIINNNNNGGGG. The wristbands were magical and everything was just perfect!!! Ah, just speechless. A LOT sing-along with CB, and jumping, and drink spilling. MAGICAL!!!! Then came Paradise. Oh.my.goodness. That was phenomenal as well and the VLV,CB, and Paradise combo was EXCELLENT. Then they acted like it was time to go, but during the intermission the Xylobands were still lighting up and the crowd was ROARING!!!! So then they moved to the C-stage and played UATW which was beautiful. Chris wanted us to welcome each member of the band as they came onto the stage. There was a moment when Chris and Will went a capella and it was wonderful and really chilling-in-a-good-way. Then they played Speed of Sound acoustic which was a great sing along too which the crowd loved. Chris messed up and started again either during Speed of Sound or UATW, I can't remember, but we forgave him ;). Then then ran onto the main stage through the crowd and they gave high-fives to the fans as they went by, and I was jealous, but hey, I was privileged enough to be at a Coldplay concert! Clocks was played and of course the crowd went bonkers. Fix You was purely amazing and beautiful and wonderful and [insert positive word here], etc. Crowd was NUTS! Then MMIX/ETIAW came on and Chris started dancing and it was a great finale with the wristbands and all the lights, it was beautiful. Chris told us "Thanks for allowing us to play in your beautiful city" Then they bowed and went off the stage and we clapped and screamed and whistled and cheered for awhile until the lights came back on.

Just some extra stuff:
Chris was pretty talky and had some nice moments with Johnny and Guy and even Will.
There were a lot of Texas-specific lyrics which were really just fun and personal. You could really tell the band was happy and they love Dallas!! Chris mentioned if the band could kiss everyone of us they would because of our sing alongs.
One thing I noticed was the wide spectrum of ages from 5-85 yrs old. I guess there's that special human quality in Coldplay's music that anyone can relate to, and it's why Coldplay is my favorite band.

lisaw23

We never change, do we?
Coldplayer
I thought the sound was much better tonight. Maybe it was just because yesterday I sat up close and tonight I sat in the back, but the sound was much clearer and I could really hear Johnny's guitar soaring through the arena.

I think the sound must have actually sounded better for the Sat. show, because I sat in one of the upper suites on Friday night, and then for Saturday was in 120, row C which was thisclose to the stage and I felt that everything was better on Saturday. Including the sound! So, maybe whatever glitches there were on Fri were corrected by Sat.

I had an amazing time both nights, but Saturday was just magical for me ;-)

Technicolour TX

Adventures of a Lifetime
Coldplayer
One thing I noticed was the wide spectrum of ages from 5-85 yrs old. I guess there's that special human quality in Coldplay's music that anyone can relate to, and it's why Coldplay is my favorite band.
Sounds like you had a great time! And regarding your quote above, I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall a band I've seen live that had such a diverse demographic range of fans as Coldplay did in Dallas. We had kids a few rows in front of us, probably about 10 years old, and folks just to the side of us that looked about 50-55. Everyone was singing and clapping along. It's great to have that kind of connection with a band, and with each other.

l0wxo2

I Saw Sparks
Coldplayer
I think the sound must have actually sounded better for the Sat. show, because I sat in one of the upper suites on Friday night, and then for Saturday was in 120, row C which was thisclose to the stage and I felt that everything was better on Saturday. Including the sound! So, maybe whatever glitches there were on Fri were corrected by Sat.

I had an amazing time both nights, but Saturday was just magical for me ;-)
I was in section 121, row E Saturday night so we were near eachother :) I agree that Saturday sounded better overall.

l0wxo2

I Saw Sparks
Coldplayer
Here are the pictures I took, I didn't take as many as I usually do because I really wanted to enjoy the concert. Also included a video of In My Place that I took :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn2v1df6fE4&list=UU-ge0YXtXUj8aCIvZrOqSSA&index=1&feature=plcp"]Coldplay Performing "In My Place" Dallas, TX 6/23/12 - YouTube[/ame]

klapoint1112

klapoint
Coldplayer
You mentioned in a previous post about meet and greets- I live in Houston, and am going tomorrow night... (saw the Sat Dallas show too) anyways- how does one get into a meet and greet... I am a HUGE fan and would just die if I had the chance to do that. :)

lisaw23

We never change, do we?
Coldplayer
I forgot to mention also that I have a friend who is a nurse at Children's, and she was blown away on Saturday, because Chris stopped by the hospital without any press or publicity to meet with the patients :dazzled: