[3-July-2011] Coldplay @ Main Square Festival, Arras, France

Mimixxx

If we could float away...
Coldplayer
Whether you agree with the choice of having her on the main stage or not, I agree it was still incredibly rude. Not only to the people who wanted to enjoy her but also to PJ herself. She shouldn't be punished or mocked for making music you don't happen to enjoy.

No people weren't dancing and singing and clapping along but she's not the type of artist the evokes that type of reaction from a crowd and you shouldn't just assume people aren't enjoying it just because they not jumping around...also you were surrounded by hardcore Coldplay fans, people a few rows behind you may have been there purely for her set.

As inappropriate as you think her placing on the main stage may have been she still deserved some respect and she didn't get that.

r25d01

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Yep.

And anyway, it's a festival. Everybody knew who'd perform there. I've been to so many parties with shit music and soon I'll have to see 30 Seconds To Mars for the third time. After all, when you see one of you favourites afterwards, it's worth it.

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
It wasn't the fact they simply weren't "jumping around" or "clapping". I made a point of looking as far, and in as many directions as I could, and all I could see was people with long faces, looking down at their feet, covering their ears, sending text messages or generally looking disinterested.
If all those people were enjoying her set, they sure had a funny way of showing it.;)

Anyway, I also found certain behaviour at the festival "rude and disrespectful", so I guess it's just a matter of how different people perceive things.

I do respect Loudefix's opinion on the matter, though, as he's actually a PJ Harvey fan, and even he conceded that "maybe their (PJ Harvey and Portishead's) shows weren't adapted for a festival configuration".
Phil too, who said he likes PJ Harvey, and had been looking forward to seeing her, admitted he found her performance rather disappointing.

Probably best to leave it there, anyhow, as there's a bigger picture.;)

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Yep.

And anyway, it's a festival. Everybody knew who'd perform there. I've been to so many parties with shit music and soon I'll have to see 30 Seconds To Mars for the third time. After all, when you see one of you favourites afterwards, it's worth it.
I wasn't really that bothered who was on the bill apart from Coldplay, as long as the performers were 'entertaining'. Leaving Portishead aside, Bruno Mars, Elbow and even Charles Bradley were entertaining, and PJ Harvey wasn't. That's what it all boils down to.
If Coldplay's performance had been phenomenal, it would have all melted into insignificance, but as has already generally been agreed, it wasn't one of their best.

I know now that I would have enjoyed Saturday's main stage line-up much more than Sunday's, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.......................... :rolleyes:

Mimixxx

Coldplayer
It's not for you to decide if other people are enjoying the set or not. I don't understand what you think gives you that right? :thinking:

r25d01

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Music and concerts don't need to be entertaining necessarily ;)
But PJ just didn't work there. Fair enough.

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Music and concerts don't need to be entertaining necessarily ;)
I think festivals do, by their very nature. However, it's all about opinions of course, and I respect yours, as I know there's no agenda. We've already discussed all this at length of course, and we are able to amicably disagree about things without getting personal, which is how it should be.:cool:
I'm also more than happy to take constructive criticism from anyone that shows me respect in the first place.
I hope that everyone feels this way.

But PJ just didn't work there. Fair enough.
Perhaps it would be helpful if you could explain why you felt PJ didn't work there, just to clear things up, anyway, as I wouldn't want it to appear I've been putting words in your mouth.;)

r25d01

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I felt like she couldn't convey her songs to the audience that well. It seemed emotionless to me which was quite the opposite what I had expected. Though I still think she's a great musician and played very well. And I'd agree, nearly no one in the audience seemed to be affected by her (not in the way they were meant to be). Maybe I'd have appreciated her performance more if the audience had reacted some more. The little reaction seemed to reflect on her because she appeared a little insecure to me. I'm sure with a higher percentage of people cherishing her music, it would have been better.

Portishead wasn't the huge crowd pleaser as well but there seemed to be much more people who enjoyed it. I think they also got more applause. And they (/the singer) seemed to be really into it every single second.

An acquaintance I had spoken to later (and coincidentally met there) shared this opinion but also enjoyed PJ's performance.

I think festivals do, by their very nature.
Depends on the festival. And then it depends on the festival and its audience what they find enjoyable (/entertaining).

However, it's all about opinions of course, and I respect yours, as I know there's no agenda. We've already discussed all this at length of course, and we are able to amicably disagree about things without getting personal, which is how it should be.:cool:
I agree with that, of course. =)

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
And by the way, it's funny how it was apparently "fine" to take the p*ss out of Girls Aloud at Wembley (I remember quite a lot of discussion about it at the time, and don't remember anyone sticking up for them), but not PJ Harvey, for some reason.
I was there, so am fully aware of what was happening at the time. Surely they deserved some respect too, however much everyone (apparently) couldn't stand them? I would say they definitely didn't get it, anyhow.:dozey:
I am of course playing devil's advocate somewhat here (and I'm not saying I didn't find all the sarcastic shouts of "Cheryl" amusing), but based on what has already been said, wasn't it wrong for all the Coldplayers to assume that everyone was there only to see Coldplay?
After all, while the front section at Wembley appeared to be full of "hardcore" Coldplay fans, it's perfectly plausible that people a few rows behind may have been there purely for Girls Aloud's set, or Jay-Z's, IMO.;)

And anyway, all performers deserve respect no more or less than anyone else. It should be universal.

loudefix

Dramarama
Coldplayer
What I have noticed at the Main Square Festival is that a lot of people can't enjoy music that doesn't make them dance. The day before Coldplay I have to endure "Jimmy eat world" before "Fleet Foxes". And what happened ? Even if people didn't know both bands they were jumping for "Jimmy Eat World" and looked depressive for "Fleet Foxes".
As r25d01 said music doesn't need to be entertaining to be good.

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
What I have noticed at the Main Square Festival is that a lot of people can't enjoy music that doesn't make them dance. The day before Coldplay I have to endure "Jimmy eat world" before "Fleet Foxes". And what happened ? Even if people didn't know both bands they were jumping for "Jimmy Eat World" and looked depressive for "Fleet Foxes".
As r25d01 said music doesn't need to be entertaining to be good.
As I said, I don't disagree with that statement. In another setting, e.g. an underground dub club, or maybe sitting outside Cafe Mambo, I might well appreciate listening to Portishead.
However, I do feel that on a festival main stage, particularly for the later slots, non "depressing" or melancholy music should be chosen, for the sake of the atmosphere.

I wasn't at the festival on the Saturday, but I notice that Fleet Foxes were on the Greenroom stage, and played earlier than either PJ Harvey or Portishead did. If PJ and Portishead had been on the bill prior to Bruno Mars and Elbow, I probably wouldn't have had such an issue with it.

On the Saturday main stage, I know that all of the last five performers (White Lies, Kaiser Chiefs, The National, Arcade Fire and Moby) would have been entertaining, anway.;)

Mimixxx

Coldplayer
And by the way, it's funny how it was apparently "fine" to take the p*ss out of Girls Aloud at Wembley (I remember quite a lot of discussion about it at the time, and don't remember anyone sticking up for them), but not PJ Harvey, for some reason.
I was there, so am fully aware of what was happening at the time. Surely they deserved some respect too, however much everyone (apparently) couldn't stand them? I would say they definitely didn't get it, anyhow.:dozey:
I am of course playing devil's advocate somewhat here (and I'm not saying I didn't find all the sarcastic shouts of "Cheryl" amusing), but based on what has already been said, wasn't it wrong for all the Coldplayers to assume that everyone was there only to see Coldplay?
After all, while the front section at Wembley appeared to be full of "hardcore" Coldplay fans, it's perfectly plausible that people a few rows behind may have been there purely for Girls Aloud's set, or Jay-Z's, IMO.;)

And anyway, performers deserve respect no more or less than anyone else. It should be universal.
We may have had a laugh amongst ourselves at their expense, but we did not disrupt their performance or disrupt it for those who actually wanted to see it...which is what you did.

That's all I'm gonna say, I don't want to argue, I've stated my opinion and you can place blame on others and argue that PJ Harvey wasn't appropriate all you want, but you're not gonna change it however much you try to convince yourself and others otherwise. Sorry.

*Perrine*

♪♫
Coldplayer
A festival is not just made for one band nor their fans, if you don't like the line-up, then wait for the band to play actual shows.
And way to give a good impression of Coldplay fans, god I just hate die hard fans who can't listen to different music...
I'd rather listen to "depressive music", as long as it comes from a quality work, than purely entertaining music whose purpose is only to make the crowd dance.

All those mexican waves were totally rude and disrespectful, that's all I have to say.

mc_squared

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I agree with that, of course. =)
Thanks for your considered, 'non-lecturing' opinion. I very much respect and appreciate that.:cool:
As you said in the "Charlie Brown" thread, it is all about opinions at the end of the day, and as the old saying goes, 'never the twain shall meet', so any further discussion is pointless.;)
Anyway, Viva ColdplayFrance and 'X and Coldplayers'! You guys were awesome!:cool:

:vuvuzela:

givelovesolong

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I'd like to second that request. All the sets I've liked and been through have dimensions of no more than 500x333. Would really appreciate a link.