Florence + The Machine

a-chan

Rhythm section rules!
Coldplayer
¨Paul Epworth, Flo producer gave some recording info on Ceremonials via twitter. Very interesting! (btw, Ceremonials is n°1 on itunes, beating Coldplay xD)

paulepworth Paul Epworth
right peeps. gotta say Ceremonials was recorded very live with very little in the way of synths as electronic production at all.

the big drum sound was the product of strapping a kick drum to a marching drum and micing the room at abbey road.

Never Let Me Go was a live take believe it or not and the weird ambience it has were the unused piano mics compressed to f**k.

Only If For a night is pretty much only percussion, a piano, a sub bass and a string part. The rest is assorted friends on vocals and flo.

The whole intention was to try and strike a balance between european marching band and the ambience of Talk talk's later material.Its weird the influences some hear in a record. Sometimes they get it totally and sometimes it's like they were listening to a different lp.

Hartroc

Dancing Politik
Coldplayer
Am I the only one who thinks this album feels somewhat...monotonous? Nearly every song tries to reach the arena-pop heights of Cosmic Love, but I'm not sure anything quite gets there, except possibly Shake it Out and Spectrum.

Corkus

Pretentious Tool
Coldplayer
^ I think the one instance where that's probably true is Heartlines. It's a great song, but its sandwiched pretty closely between No Light, No Light and Spectrum, both of which accomplish the exact same thing except better. Either some track re-ordering (or, like I've repeatedly insisted, thrown out 1 or 2 tracks in favor of Bedroom Hymns) may have made for some better pacing.

Also, Cosmic Love needs to continue to be played at every show. I think that and DDAO are pretty safe. I'd hate to see Blinding and Drumming Song go, however.

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer

Brent

Rudy
Coldplayer
To me, Lungs sounds better as an album but Ceremonials has better individual songs. Pick your poison.

Pink

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
I like the songs individually, but they are all too similar to listen to as an album. After 3 or 4, I've had enough.

neonhorn22

Music Lover
Coldplayer
Florence + the Machine is going to be the musical guest on SNL next week. Just an FYI for fans.

tams

New Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Am i the only one who thinks Florence looks like Noel Fielding? :))
especially in the video when Noel does Wuthering heights for Comic Relief.

Hartroc

Dancing Politik
Coldplayer
I like the songs individually, but they are all too similar to listen to as an album. After 3 or 4, I've had enough.
That's my problem.

I think Lungs had higher highs (Rabbit Heart, Cosmic Love) and was better as an album. There are some songs that stand out on Ceremonials after a few listens, but they all have pretty much the same anthemic sound - which I wouldn't have a problem with if there were a few different tracks to balance it out. Lungs was a little awkward in its diversity, but it's an extremely lovable sort of awkward.

neonhorn22

Music Lover
Coldplayer
I've been listening to "Ceremonials" the bonus edition for days now and I still love the album, but I'll tell you this.....I can't stand Spectrum. Ugh. It makes me my skin crawl. I hate her voice when she sings "say my name." Again...ugh. I skip it every time I hear it. And the last song is kind of boring for a closer. I wish they would've taken out Spectrum and Leave My Body and substituted Bedroom Hymns and Strangeness and Charm.

rainplay

Iluvya
Coldplayer
I'm really obsessed with Breaking Down right now. I keep playing it over and over.

a-chan

Rhythm section rules!
Coldplayer
They announce the date for the only french date...and I can't go.

shred

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Coldplayer
No Light No Light and Seven Devils are getting numerous plays from me at the moment. :D

Wyrd

Brent come back
Coldplayer
Finally listened to the new album! :D And it didn't disappoint me! AAAAH! IT'S BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS
YES
:awesome:

nothingtoseehere

Meh.
Coldplayer
That's my problem.

I think Lungs had higher highs (Rabbit Heart, Cosmic Love) and was better as an album. There are some songs that stand out on Ceremonials after a few listens, but they all have pretty much the same anthemic sound - which I wouldn't have a problem with if there were a few different tracks to balance it out. Lungs was a little awkward in its diversity, but it's an extremely lovable sort of awkward.
YES! That's exactly how I feel about this album!

Anyway, here's the No Light, No Light video, everyone! Fresh from the oven!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGH-4jQZRcc&feature=channel_video_title"]Florence + The Machine - No Light, No Light - YouTube[/ame]

ETA:

Am i the only one who thinks Florence looks like Noel Fielding? :))
especially in the video when Noel does Wuthering heights for Comic Relief.
And yes, I've always thought that! They're almost identical! :laugh4: