Welcome to Coldplaying!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lorford's Antiques: At Home With Coldplay's Guy Berryman

Captain Crieff

drinking pink rabbits
Staff member
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer

THE INTERVIEW: AT HOME WITH COLDPLAY'S GUY BERRYMAN

How would you describe your style at home?

I love different styles of interior design – farmhouse, Scandinavian, mid-century, industrial….. but its important to me that the furnishings on the inside of a house match the character of the building. As I live in a Cotswold-stone country house my choice of style tends to be antique painted furniture – albeit a mixture of British, French and Scandinavian.

What is your favourite room in your house and why?

Like most people, I think I spend most of my time in the kitchen. I spend a lot of time working on my laptop so I find myself at my refectory style kitchen table which is positioned as close as possible to my coffee machine.

What is the best advice you have ever received?

‘You need to stop drinking as you’re a pain in the arse when you are drunk.’ They were right and I did. That was about seven years ago.

When and how did you become interested in antiques?

I’ve always been drawn to design in general and have been interested in “things” for as long as I can remember… What we call antiques now are just design exercises from different time periods. Its fascinating to see the evolution.

What was the first antique item you bought for your home?

I have a 1950’s AMI jukebox which I bought a long time ago. It holds 100 records and plays both sides. Its very colourful and to this day is still the best sounding music system I have ever heard. We listen to music nowadays on tinny little laptop speakers. Its such a shame.

What has been your most exciting antique find to date?

I’ve just bought a pair of mid century armchairs designed by Joseph Andre Motte for Steiner. Completely original blue/green leather and grey mix weave fabric…. I’m pretty excited about them. But I’m always looking for the next find.

What are your top destinations for sourcing furniture?

Lorford’s Antiques of course! Ebay is a constant companion/obsession. I love Retrouvius in London and Trainspotters in Stroud also.

What is your most treasured item in your home?

My classic cars. I have way too many now – mostly European sports cars from the 1960’s.

Who is on the guest list for your ideal dinner party?

My fiancee Keshia and my daughter Nico. I don’t really do dinner parties.

What was the last item you bought for your home?

Probably a lamp. I love them and hate them. Nobody has ever really made a good one. I have a cupboard full of failed lamp purchases. My brother called me a lampoholic once.

What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?

When I’m not recording or touring I restore classic sports cars in my workshop at home. Most people are surprised by that. My Dad really got me into old cars as he always had a sports car or two around the house growing up – MG’s or Triumphs.

What are three things you can’t live without?

My Macbook Pro, coffee and something to be obsessed about whether it be art, music, design, photography etc…. I hope I never get bored of discovering and learning about human creations.

Favourite song?

I have thousands of records and have spent thirty years obsessing about music. I havn’t found my favourite song yet.

link: http://www.lorfordsantiques.com/blog/the-interview-coldplays-guy-berryman

D

diogo_sg

Wow! What a great interview!
'You need to stop drinking as you're a pain in the arse when you're drunk.' haha!!
By the way, Guy's house must be beautiful :D

Nina8

Biggest Guy fan 2014
Coldplayer
Nice interview. He must be a very interesting person, he's got so many talents, beside the music.
I wonder if he doesn't drink alcohol anymore at all?

Batman

My batshake brings all the spam to the yard
Coldplayer
Holy frick I want a tour through his house, nOW
And I wanna see his car collection =D

Safy

An Outsider
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
ahhh this man!! WOW!! he needs to do more interviews tbh. he has got so many interesting things to say

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Sneaky Apple advertisement here !! :shocked2::eek::shocked2::eek::shocked2:

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
Sneaky Apple advertisement here !! :shocked2::eek::shocked2::eek::shocked2:
Not really. Most people in the arts use Macs and have done so for years, way before Apple became popular with the rest of the crowd :)

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
Great little interview! These are the kind of interviews I like: straight to the point and we get a lot of small sneak peeks and tidbits of info :)

Guy, I am with you here...MacBook Pro is also one of my favorite companions as well as coffee and tea. And restoring classic cars must be a whole lot of fun ! One day I want to have a tiny Harley Davidson collection (like two bikes LOL).

But this...."Like most people, I think I spend most of my time in the kitchen". :blank::stunned::inquisitive: Not this person haha I spend as little time in the kitchen as possible, just the time to prepare my meals. I was sure he´d answer the living room. I kinda would assume thats the room most people spend their time in? hehe

AMDB9

You're a Sky Full of Stars
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
My dad used to own a Triumph haha! Maybe Guy and my dad had the same type of car!
Cool interview though.

Last edited:

alisbe

We're diamonds taking shape
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
And he said to coldplaying he doesn't have anything to say in interviews. We always learn something new, great interview

Stephie

My heart is my gun
Honorary Coldplayer
Coldplayer
And he said to coldplaying he doesn't have anything to say in interviews. We always learn something new, great interview
That's exactly what I thought of, too! He has a lot of interesting things to say. Keep them coming, Guy! :wink3:

Batman

Coldplayer
Same here, I think he's just too lazy to talk :laugh3:

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
Nice interview. He must be a very interesting person, he's got so many talents, beside the music.
I wonder if he doesn't drink alcohol anymore at all?
He's said different things about that at different times. It's not the first time I've heard him say he gave up drinking around the time he turned 30, but I've also seen him mention that he does drink occasionally in interviews after that time, so who knows?

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
He's said different things about that at different times. It's not the first time I've heard him say he gave up drinking around the time he turned 30, but I've also seen him mention that he does drink occasionally in interviews after that time, so who knows?
Interesting. I wonder if this suggests he used to drink too much too often perhaps? Usually people cut totally out what they don't find easy to indulge in in moderation.

fakfak

Up With The Birds
Coldplayer
Interesting. I wonder if this suggests he used to drink too much too often perhaps? Usually people cut totally out what they don't find easy to indulge in in moderation.
I think he did drink heavily at one point. There are photos of him from around the X and Y era passed out with his shoes stolen and stuff like that.

Batman

Coldplayer
I think he did drink heavily at one point. There are photos of him from around the X and Y era passed out with his shoes stolen and stuff like that.
I can confirm that ahah

Draco

Broken Hearts Make it Rain
Coldplayer
I remember when Chris said that if Guy wasn't in Coldplay he would be in prison...huh. I'm honestly really curious to know what the hell made him say that lol. Maybe the excessive drinking?

And about him talking in interviews, I don't think he's too lazy to speak. I'm the same way around big groups too. It's introversion I think.

Jedi Leo

A guy full of stars
Coldplayer
I remember when Chris said that if Guy wasn't in Coldplay he would be in prison...huh. I'm honestly really curious to know what the hell made him say that lol. Maybe the excessive drinking?
We´ll probably never know the "dark" side of Coldplay in the past. haha Its all those stories of probably drugs/alcohol/sex they´ll never tell cuz they don't wanna glamorise them. I always found that decision very respectable and a breath of fresh air from the likes of Oasis haha