===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
I always refer back to this interview with Chris during the AHFOD era:

View: https://youtu.be/uyf9ULOqyp0

At 10:40 he is asked about the change in sound and pretty much explains their view on writing music. Just because we got a good album with the right influences this time, doesn’t mean we’re not going to get a pop album one direction would be proud of next time round.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’d dare say just because EL is a return to Oldplay, we’re not out of the woods yet in regards the near future.
Reminds me of that other AHFOD Era interview (can't remember which) where he is confronted with their change in sound too and he gets defensive and says something like "Yellow was our poppiest song".
Compare that to the Chris in the Live 2003 documentary sitting in the tour bus telling a journalist "we are fighting to get sincere music to be a thing again"...

JM-42

Life is for Living
Coldplayer
I know I'm late to the party but even if we get AHFOD part 2 next year, I'm extremely happy we got this album. I almost felt relief after the first full listen, because deep down we all knew the band was still there. This is probably going to be a really short era so I say we make the most it, I for one can't wait to hear all these new amazing songs played live.

The Adversary

Weapon of the Future
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Reminds me of that other AHFOD Era interview (can't remember which) where he is confronted with their change in sound too and he gets defensive and says something like "Yellow was our poppiest song".
Compare that to the Chris in the Live 2003 documentary sitting in the tour bus telling a journalist "we are fighting to get sincere music to be a thing again"...
Could anyone link that interview?

mathieu_cpfan

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
While I would also assume a more accessible record would follow, I'm sure the band can change their mind a million times before the next record is released. A record company executive is probably the least reliable source in all of this.

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
Gosh, I love coming back to this performance:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w06S7Z4tKZU&list=WL&index=10&t=0s

Based on what I've seen of performances from 1999-2001, 2001 is when the band really started to take off live and get that kind of energy you see in the AROBTTH tour shows. Like, look at Chris, with all his energy channeled into some great vocals and rhythm guitar playing instead of just sprinting back and forth across the stage, especially in Spies.

Last edited:

andrewsky

The Scientist
Coldplayer
If they ever play either White Shadows, X&Y the song, or Low (okay, even Speed of Sound on the main stage) again, I will be incredibly happy. Any one of those songs. Just once. But I doubt it'll ever happen (and they have a good reason for not wanting to be reminded of the X&Y era).
I think they would/could perform more older songs live again if they ever consider doing an Anniversary Tour of some sort.

prospekt46

"Nu-Sensitive music, that's bollocks though"
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
ok it's out on deezer and I'm listening

its the good stuff

I ran away

A Rush of Blood to X&Y
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Is anyone of you Oldplayers trying to attend the London gig ?

Marchez94

Singing a rebel song
Coldplayer
Everyday Life is easily the most intricate and sophisticated thing they've done in the last 10 years.
I love the furious blasts of rage in Trouble in Town, Church looks like it's made out of thin air. This is the coldplay I've always loved.

mathieu_cpfan

Coldplayer
Coldplayer
Gosh, I love coming back to this performance:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w06S7Z4tKZU&list=WL&index=10&t=0s

Based on what I've seen of performances from 1999-2001, 2001 is when the band really started to take off live and get that kind of energy you see in the AROBTTH tour shows. Like, look at Chris, with all his energy channeled into some great vocals and rhythm guitar playing instead of just sprinting back and forth across the stage, especially in Spies.
Wow, I didn't know this existed! It's great! Also, it's so much better than the 2003 Sydney DVD, which is a rather poor representation of how good that tour was. They seem so tired on that DVD. This however, has tons more energy! The early AROBTTH songs sound a bit iffy though. But that's part of the charm.

ISawSparks06

Livin' life in Technicolor
Coldplayer
Holy $hit you guys. How bad is this album :sob:

The *ONLY* track I'm vibing with is "CHURCH" -- it really feels Prospekt's March Era for me.

42Escapist

You could be me, I could be you
Coldplayer
Holy $hit you guys. How bad is this album :sob:

The *ONLY* track I'm vibing with is "CHURCH" -- it really feels Prospekt's March Era for me.
Church is weird IMO, sounds like Ghost Stories if you ask me and that's probably because of Stargate. It wasn't one of my favorite tracks on the album at first but it has grown on me. Didn't think I'd like a Stargate-produced song on this record after they absolutely murdered 99% of AHFOD but it's actually really relaxing and catchy without being a cheesy mess that sounds like something off a Maroon 5 or Justin Bieber album.

prospekt46

"Nu-Sensitive music, that's bollocks though"
Coldplayer
Charity Donator
Church was my LEAST favorite track lol, In fact I like every track aside from that, and maybe Orphans but it's still catchy.

Famous Old Painter

KICKS LIKE A SLEEP TWICH
Coldplayer
Possibly. Though I'm a weirdo that has Ghost Stories in his top 3 so I'm not a great authority on these things