✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion

stephen

37 minutes ago, Famous Old Painter said:

My Universe is definitely the most radio-friendly out and out pop song the band has produced up to this point, so whether or not that's something that excites you depends on your perspective. I can imagine Oldplayers violently retching. Fans of SJLT and ASFOS might dig it though. 

I can already tell MOTS will definitely not make my top 5 Coldplay records. But as long as it's better than AHFOD I'll be happy. Already the artwork is much better, so that's something. 

I agree with you, though I actually like ASFOS and think it has something. SJLT is just annoying.

Edit: You've got a good name btw ?

Edited by Famous_Old_Painter

58 minutes ago, JustSomeone said:

Curious about your opinion!

Essentially, I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Coldplay genuinely seems to be content about the music they create these days.

Any mainstream artist could have released 'My Universe' and absolutely no person would have associated it with a Coldplay song, even fans who know what to look for. 

A song like A Sky Full Of Stars was EDM / Pop, but still contained Coldplay-like elements such as the chord progression of the piano, the acoustic guitar, the electric guitar, etc.

Thoughts?

I agree completely and Avicii was a genius.

Didn't Higher Power get Wills imidiate approval and he thought it was a good song? (Or something "just" like this ?)

I guess they want to do.... POP and be popular among the....kids? ?

• Like 1

Sorry folks who are feeling MU is being spoiled. I'm gonna put my thoughts under spoilers and would ask others reply like that too. 

Spoiler

Overall I think I like it more than Higher Power. I've often said that I think "newplay" has struggled with balancing pop and alternative sounds, which can lead to good songs with awkward instrumentation & mixing. For example, HFTW is super catchy and lush, but the chorus is a bit muddled and tries mixing in too many instruments. Higher Power is catchy, I like the groove, but it lacks a certain explosive energy that I think MU has and I find the instrumental palate punchier. 

On MU, the Max Martin production and BTS feature really help the song find its sound. It's not trying to be a dance song by a rock band, it's an electropop pop vocal song with a clear goal of being catchy and dancy and it works! I absolutely love that electro-bass and Will's drumming is classy and perfectly mixed. Again, I think they could have incorporated Jonny a bit more (I think the live track will be amazing!) but it's nice to have a few disco guitar jangles scattered throughout the mix. Chris sounds really good, singing in some lower registers, and BTS has incredibly catchy verses. Is this song as catchy as say, Levitating or Don't Stop Now by Dua Lipa? Heck no, but it's a pretty solid pop song for a band that's been at it for 25 years, and I think it will absolutely hit #1 for a bit. 

So where HP is like a 7/10 for me, MU might be closer to a 8/10. My favorite part is the outro which just straight up good dance music, and the intro is super weird with the aliens introducing the song. It sets a unique tone. My biggest critique is that the song is a bit repetitive -- the chorus is basically played 4 times in 3 minutes and I think it could have used an extended bridge or some more BTS moments perhaps incorporating a guitar or synth solo for 10 seconds to add some diversity. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JustSomeone said:

Essentially, I have a really hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Coldplay genuinely seems to be content about the music they create these days.

Any mainstream artist could have released 'My Universe' and absolutely no person would have associated it with a Coldplay song, even fans who know what to look for. 

A song like A Sky Full Of Stars was EDM / Pop, but still contained Coldplay-like elements such as the chord progression of the piano, the acoustic guitar, the electric guitar, etc.

Thoughts?

This. I definitely can’t understand how they love this new sound and hate something like X&Y, which is miles better in my opinion. I guess they really changed the way they view themselves. It’s a different band, and thats fine…

• Like 4

Ok, so we have the full tracklist now...

1. Music of the Spheres I
  2. Higher Power
  3. Humankind
  4. Alien Choir
  5. Let Somebody Go
  6. Human Heart
  7. People of the Pride
  8. Biutyful
  9. Music of the Spheres II
  10. My Universe
  11. Infinity Sign
  12. Coloratura

The placement of MOTS2 feels weird to me, I'm starting to think we might get two albums of twelve songs:

• Music of the Spheres Vol.1 - Tracks 1-8 (Orbit 1) / Tracks 9-12 (Orbit 2, Part 1)
  • Music of the Spheres Vol.2 - Tracks 1-4 (Orbit 2, Part 2) / Tracks 5-12 (Orbit 3)

It's better than releasing three albums and more convenient than releasing one album and two EPs, which was my previous idea. It wouldn't make them overexposed in media either.

Edited by gustavothehuman
  • Like 6
  • Wow 1

This albums artwork and theme has built up for this album to be like Coldplay's masterpiece and very arty and "Pink Floydish", which I think they would be capable of pulling off. I just wish they could stick to one genre and just release that vein they have within them. I still have very high hopes for this album though, the snippets sound interesting! ☺️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JustSomeone said:

Thoughts?

Putting my response in spoiler. 

Spoiler

I see what you mean, but tbh I think it feels like a natural progression from AHFOD. Yes, technically there's very little Jonny and this could be a track that was built 100% in a studio w/o Guy or Will. That said, there's an energy to the song and a vibe that feels quintessential Coldplay. It's a bit saccharine, it's heart on sleeve, the lyrics are just extremely universal. But I'd argue that it is a track that feels more honest in many ways than SJLT. Sure, that song has a sweet guitar solo and the classic Coldplay piano sound, but it felt like Coldplay was just transposing their sound on top of a Chainsmokers sound. MU sounds fresh and new to me. Not that it's experimental or anything, but for my taste it feels like Coldplay is having fun and dang it's so well produced and the synths have some cool progressions throughout the song.  Idk, I like pure pop so I almost prefer this to a song that tries to mix pop with rock. 

• Like 2

I'm just bombing this thread rn, but I have a weird theory that I'm curious what folks think. So it appears the track listing includes several "interlude" type tracks similar to MX. Artistically, I like interludes because they help pad songs out and give a transition from big exciting songs to quieter songs (i.e. Us Against the World into MMIX into ETIAW). The length of interludes also helps Coldplay fine-tune album length to get that 42 minute mark.

HOWEVER -- I couldn't help but notice that it's odd how short some of them are on MOTS when there's also a 10 minute song! My theory is Coldplay had the songs and went to the label and said "we want a 10 minute outro" and the label said "well, that's not good for streaming revenues, my guys," so Coldplay says "okay, maybe we can compromise?" so the label goes -- "okay, you keep the 10 minute song, but we want some short tracks that can be streamed quickly to get a lot of plays."

• Like 2

It's weird because I was getting good vibes from the individual snippets of My Universe, and when the trailer snippet came I was sure the song would be fantastic. After listening to the whole thing today I'm disappointed and that's coming from someone who likes ASFOS and can live with SJLT (because of the outro that screams Coldplay).

My Universe sounds like a BTS song with Chris being featured and not the other way around - and especially not Coldplay. The entire time I was waiting for the band to kick in or at least an explosive outro... It never came. The lyrics are cringy and generic, the Korean parts are unnecessary and annoying, the "you make my world light up inside" parts are pretty good. Other than that, there's not much (for me) to like. I honestly prefer Higher Power by a mile.

Can't wait for the rest of the album though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, lennyrott1 said:

I'm just bombing this thread rn, but I have a weird theory that I'm curious what folks think. So it appears the track listing includes several "interlude" type tracks similar to MX. Artistically, I like interludes because they help pad songs out and give a transition from big exciting songs to quieter songs (i.e. Us Against the World into MMIX into ETIAW). The length of interludes also helps Coldplay fine-tune album length to get that 42 minute mark.

HOWEVER -- I couldn't help but notice that it's odd how short some of them are on MOTS when there's also a 10 minute song! My theory is Coldplay had the songs and went to the label and said "we want a 10 minute outro" and the label said "well, that's not good for streaming revenues, my guys," so Coldplay says "okay, maybe we can compromise?" so the label goes -- "okay, you keep the 10 minute song, but we want some short tracks that can be streamed quickly to get a lot of plays."

Interludes tend to have less streams because people usually just want to go quickly to the song, so...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GarbageOffice said:

It's weird because I was getting good vibes from the individual snippets of My Universe, and when the trailer snippet came I was sure the song would be fantastic. After listening to the whole thing today I'm disappointed and that's coming from someone who likes ASFOS and can live with SJLT (because of the outro that screams Coldplay).

My Universe sounds like a BTS song with Chris being featured and not the other way around - and especially not Coldplay. The entire time I was waiting for the band to kick in or at least an explosive outro... It never came. The lyrics are cringy and generic, the Korean parts are unnecessary and annoying, the "you make my world light up inside" parts are pretty good. Other than that, there's not much (for me) to like. I honestly prefer Higher Power by a mile.

Can't wait for the rest of the album though.

I think both MU and HP have the same problem: Guy and Will are doing great on the bass and drums, but Jonny is not very prominent, but as I said on this thread already, Max Martin doesn't have a problem with guitar-led songs, I know two productions of his that are guitar-led. So what's going on?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gustavothehuman said:

Pride of the People sounds guitar-heavy though, Coloratura is looking like it might have some good riffs too, so I'm starting to wonder if less prominent guitars is something they did for the singles.

those 2 will probably end up the best on the album.

I randomly came across possible Humankind part lyrics did you see 

Idk how accurate 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

6 minutes ago, Famous_Old_Painter said:

Am I slow or what?! 

On the album art there is like 3 main planets in the middle. These must be the three volumes, right? Guess you already knew? ?

Polish_20210721_204855824.jpg

I think it really represents the orbits of the planets and since possibly Supersolis is the main star of the planetary system. I think they could be very close to the star next to Echo and the little dot that you can hardly see (and maybe it's a pulsar) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sammoga said:

I think it really represents the orbits of the planets and since possibly Supersolis is the main star of the planetary system. I think they could be very close to the star next to Echo and the little dot that you can hardly see (and maybe it's a pulsar) 

Yeah probably! Still can't drop the thought since it seems like Kaotica is the artwork for this disc and that one is one of the three central planets (and/or stars).

7 minutes ago, gustavothehuman said:

I'm slowly starting to like the album cover more, reminds me of the minimalistic artwork of their early eras. This fan-made version with stars look so much better though, Pilar did us dirty.

Imagem

I don't mind the cover 

Its the music that I want to be good

So far I like all 5 things 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, prco1994 said:

I might be beating a dead horse here, but is anyone still not able to find/buy the "Infinity X Everything " Bundle?

I cannot seem to find it ANYWHERE on the store and it's eating away at me!

I did find it, but was basically ready something like that at launch, and got it ordered within the first few minutes. Link is at the bottom if you need it, but for me it says sold out. It is the EU store, but you can probably change eustore to whatever store coldplay.com auto-redirects you to.

https://eustore.coldplay.com/products/infinity-x-everything-bundle-eu

Edited by BerheavedTripod8
Wrong link

16 minutes ago, gustavothehuman said:

I'm slowly starting to like the album cover more, reminds me of the minimalistic artwork of their early eras. This fan-made version with stars look so much better though, Pilar did us dirty.

Imagem

I like this one way more than the original tbh. I just can’t stand it ?

• Captain Crieff changed the title to 🪐 Coldplay: Music of the Spheres 🪐 | Out Now! | Discussion