Welcome to Coldplaying!

By signing up you will receive access to the largest Coldplay fan site and hundreds of Coldplay downloads!

Will vocals appreciation thread with all of his major vocal perfomances

Discussion in 'Coldplay' started by Magic_2000, Nov 16, 2018.

Share This Page

Tags:
  1. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Nov 16, 2018
    Gravity
    Coldplayer

So today we got a new live track in the form of Don't Panic(Live from Paris) (which you can hear in this thread thanks to @coldplaykb ) where Will takes the role of main vocals. While discusing about Will's great perfomance in the track I thought why not making a thread were we give the much deserved credit to his vocal abilites.Obviously there's a reason why Chris is the front runner of the band and that Will is mainly known for his (also great) drumming, but when he gets the chance to do some singing he never fails to impress!
    So, I dicided to do some digging up and get as many perfomances as possible (in chronological order) of his singing in one thread. I can't wait to read your thoughts and if I forgot any other perfomances, please tell me so!

Sang by Will most of time when it was played live.

Although not a full vocal perfomance, what would Viva La Vida be without the iconic chant suported by Will?

This isn't just Will singing but after the first chours, Will's vocals are predominant through out the rest of the song with him finishing it off at the last verses!

I can't wait to hear this on in HQ on the butterfly package! In My Place with Will vocals only!

Even though when this song was played with Beyoncé back vocals, this specific perfomance actually used Will's instead! Beyoncé obviously has a great range and voice and is a good addition to the song, but Will's vocals aren't to far behind, biggest proof around(2:35).

RedBalloon, Holocene, vico xt and 4 others like this.
  2. Captain Crieff

By:Captain CrieffNov 16, 2018
    drinking pink rabbits
    Staff Member Moderator Honorary Coldplayer Coldplayer

good thread.

Magic_2000 likes this.
  3. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Nov 16, 2018
    Gravity
    Coldplayer

Thank you very much! I known that the AHFOD film and the LP8 rumors are all the rage at the moment but I just felt doing this now after so much time of thinking about doing it, even if people aren't that much into it. If anything, it will be a way to show my appreciation for Will :D

4. MyloXylobro

By:MyloXylobroNov 20, 2018
    Shot Across The Sky
    Coldplayer

Will came in clutch during that BRIT Awards performance. I remember being blown away by his taking over Beyonce's vocal track.

Magic_2000 likes this.
  5. MosesTheMarshmallow

By:MosesTheMarshmallowNov 20, 2018
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

I love Will vocals and have many many things to say about them. Here's something I found just now when I looked up to see if there are any stripped versions of Fix You (that aren't Chris and Jonny only). This appears to be one of those files of extra bits to songs (see also in the "what does Jonny do on Viva la Vida" thread for all the little guitar bits he does). Some great Will vocals, and a bit of Jonny/Guy too!

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxx9dGLexZI

Also here's a nice version of Fix You where thanks to Chris's shenanigans, we can hear everyone else's vocals really well:

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22UAqcKFFA

6. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Nov 20, 2018
    Gravity
    Coldplayer

You bet! I think that performance was the turning point to my appreciation for Will.I started being a fan of Coldplay arround that time and I remember being like "wow this guy has range! Who knew the drummer for Coldplay would not only play so well but also sing this well?"
    Thank so much for sharing this! Never heard the rest of the band's vocals so clearly. They sound great! That performance of Fix You is so iconic. The fact that Chris had the balls to get in the middle of the crowd is not only amazing,but let the guys to have their own moment on stage.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Carolina* and M Marks The Spot like this.
  7. vico xt

By:vico xtNov 20, 2018
    Learning English
    Coldplayer

Finally a thread that represents me. Thank you very much.

Magic_2000 likes this.
  8. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Nov 20, 2018
    Gravity
    Coldplayer

Haha, you have no idea how happy I am to see someone who also loves Will's vocals! Also, great signature. ;)

Everybody, I just remembered another great Will vocal perfomance: Someone Special Live in Milan!

Around 3:23 Will busts out some great vocals that unfortunately were toned down for the studio version. :( There's a interesting moment at 3:31 pointed by a user in the comments of the video-"Will sings "I see heaven inside," while Chris starts to sing the incorrect "when you realize" line from the earlier chorus before getting himself back on track. Chris then looks over at Will and laughs, I guess as if to say "You saved me there" " :joy:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  9. MosesTheMarshmallow

By:MosesTheMarshmallowNov 26, 2018
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

^The band has a bad habit of toning down Will's vocals on album versions. :( UATW is particularly the case for that.

Here's an obscure find - the 2010 version of A Message with some excellent Will vocals (also extremely crunchy Jonny guitar lines)

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VshVGC9E3I

Gideon_Mx, Magic_2000 and CAJM like this.
  10. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Nov 26, 2018
    Gravity
    Coldplayer

Yeah that's very true unfortunally. Altough I don't think is that bad in UATW. Someone Special is still the biggest offender for me. Not only was Will's vocals almost not hearable, but also Jonny's great guitar lines! But to be honest the Kaleidoscope EP had bad mixing overall.

Good find! That perfomance is incredible on all parts.The boys did a fantastic job, they really seemed to really be into it! Too bad the sound quality isn't very good. :( If anyone has a clear recording of the perfomance and wouldn't mind share it would be very much appreciated :innocent:

MosesTheMarshmallow likes this.
  11. coldplaykb

By:coldplaykbNov 26, 2018
    The beat from my heart
    Coldplayer

I love Will's vocals in this! Wish they kept them louder for the studio version. You can still hear him, but not nearly as good as you can in the live version.

Magic_2000 likes this.
  12. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Dec 10, 2018
    Gravity
    Coldplayer

So guys thoughs on the In My Place versions from the Butterfly Package? I already talked about it on another thread but it's so great to have high quality vocals from Will! Also I loved the way it was shot and hearing the crowd singing with him just warms my heart :heart:

Here's the audio from the Buenos Aires for those who haven't heard it!

13. MosesTheMarshmallow

By:MosesTheMarshmallowDec 11, 2018
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

Will has some great vocals on all of Ghost Stories...

Ink "ft Rihanna"

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLhcmwvI1Dg

While I LOVE Will's backing vocals on Magic (the cool layering in the choruses is just so CLEVER), it's also one of FEW examples out there where you can hear him make some singing mistakes.

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0djeyLi_Jg

Oh and remember when he played lead guitar whilst singing beautiful vocals?!

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnX1Xz1pHUM

Also I remembered there was this version of Fix You out there, which is a true testament to Will's outrageous ability to sound exactly like the studio versions of things (and this is a stripped down performance so 0% chance that it's on a backing track). Also note how Jonny sings and lazy ol' Guy doesn't. :p

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCwz5WukKyY

14. Magic_2000

By:Magic_2000Dec 11, 2018
    Gravity
    Coldplayer

It's funny that you talk about Rihanna, reminds me of something that I read somewhere and it said that originally, Princess Of China was supossed to be a duet between Chris and Will before Rihanna came in. Imagine what it could be! Although since the song is about a straight couple it was probably a good call to get a female singer. However it be pretty cool to see an actual duet with Chris and Will in the next LP(or EP for that matter)!

I had NO IDEA that it was Will doing back vocals in Magic! :eek: I though it was just Chris's voice layering. What an awsome idea on their part!

Fly On...the perfect way to end Ghost Story all around. It pretty cool seeing Will using his guitar skills on a full song!

Wow it's so refreshing listenning to Fix You on a normal piano. Great accoustic version, although I can't hear Jonny's vocals on that recording :oops:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  15. Carolina*

By:Carolina*Dec 11, 2018
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

His vocals in Yes add a lot to the song also

16. MosesTheMarshmallow

By:MosesTheMarshmallowDec 12, 2018
    Up&Up
    Coldplayer

Indeed it's hard to hear Jonny when Will sings so powerfully, oops. And Jonny is singing the octave below Chris so it's way harder to pick out. You can hear him clearly on this recording though:

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVu5-jhn3iw

Parachutes era:
    Will is carrying the whole second half of Everything's Not Lost

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YJjk4HhjFA

Will also has some nice vocals in this version of Yellow (as well as all versions) but particularly listen during the second chorus. :)

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lhzgqE-Be4

Magic_2000 likes this.
  17. Gideon_Mx

By:Gideon_MxDec 15, 2018
    Life In Technicolor
    Coldplayer

Great thread! I love Will's vocals to be honest, he always picks the exact perfect moments, for example in Everglow: if you go to 2:37 and 2:44 you hear Will's amazing backing vocals, his voice fits so well!

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/P8jOQUsTU9o?t=155

18. Gideon_Mx

Life In Technicolor
    Coldplayer

I wondered if there isn't any recording of Will singing backing vocals in several songs.
    Like sometime ago, someone on the forum posted a recording of Guy and Jonny's click-track during a performance. It was from the Viva tour if I'm not mistaking.
    I would love to have Will's as he's the best singer of the three of them. I think Guy and Jonny can sing too but not as good as Will can. That's probably the main reason that Will gets all the headache of doing backing vocals ;(

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  19. Gideon_Mx

Life In Technicolor
    Coldplayer

I find it a shame that they don't often sing along together, because if they do, it sounds so great all together. Like in Fix You or Violet Hill, or even Every Teardrop where Jonny sings the lines ''Every tear, every tear, every teardrop is a waaaterfaaall'' together with Will. I love it :D

20. Gideon_Mx

Life In Technicolor
    Coldplayer

Here's it is:

Jonny:

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_3tSiB3tQA

Guy:

Mobile Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQUiVeiyHo

MosesTheMarshmallow likes this.